PDA

View Full Version : Can you do the windshield wiper with the 2HBH?

ktncnttl
10-05-2005, 06:45 AM
I have just learned to do the "windshield wiper" with my forehand to get more topspin. It works fine but when I try to do the same with my 2HBH the ball flies on me. Are you supposed to do the "windshield wiper" only on the forehand side? Can you do that on the backhand side?

Marius_Hancu
10-05-2005, 07:13 AM
be careful on both FH and BH.
these can create you lots of wrist problems
use them very sparsely.
check Wrist Pain
in my signature here:

Mahboob Khan
10-05-2005, 09:04 AM
As Marius pointed out be selective in the windshield wiper swing. Yes, it is possible with the 2-handed BH. Follow the following advice:

-- Learn to hit lefty forehand. It will take a day or two!

-- With lefty forehand, on a short/easier ball apply windshield wiper swing. May be a day or two and you will be able to master this stroke with your lefty forehand!

-- Now hit your regular 2-handed BHs and you will be able to execute this shot.

TENNIS2
10-05-2005, 09:11 AM
As Marius pointed out be selective in the windshield wiper swing. Yes, it is possible with the 2-handed BH. Follow the following advice:

-- Learn to hit lefty forehand. It will take a day or two!

-- With lefty forehand, on a short/easier ball apply windshield wiper swing. May be a day or two and you will be able to master this stroke with your lefty forehand!

-- Now hit your regular 2-handed BHs and you will be able to execute this shot.

Does this really work? I feel that whatever mechanics you learn with the lefty forehand will be lost when you switch back to the 2h backhand since now you have much more restriction of movement of your left arm. If you have seen it work then let me know since I want to give my 2h backhand more spice (rather than just a flat return) as well. Thx.

rilokiley
10-05-2005, 11:04 AM
I find that racket head speed is a big factor. maybe that's just me.

Bungalo Bill
10-05-2005, 04:31 PM
Does this really work? I feel that whatever mechanics you learn with the lefty forehand will be lost when you switch back to the 2h backhand since now you have much more restriction of movement of your left arm. If you have seen it work then let me know since I want to give my 2h backhand more spice (rather than just a flat return) as well. Thx.

Yes, it does work to an extent. The "opposite" hand forehand is a staple exercise for twohanded backhands. The issue is making sure you are duplicating the movement of the tophand. With my twohander my elbow stays closer to my body then my forehand as I extend through the ball. So I duplicate the movement even though it is not exactly like my normal forehand.

The drill for the opposite hand forehand does several things:

1. Coordinate the weight transfer from your back leg to the front leg.

2. Strengthen the arm/wrist/hand of the top hand.

3. Develop your contact point and ball judgement.

To answer the posters question, yes, you can windshield wipe up the back side of the ball on a twohander. There are two ways to do it. You can use a coupling effect with your hands/wrists (tophand pushes the handle one way and the bottom hand the other way) or just really pull up and pronating your forearm of the tophand a lot more then the bottom hand. In fact, you don't even know the bottom hand is really involved.

With the windshiled wiping technique timing is always one of the key issues.

ktncnttl
10-06-2005, 05:32 AM
Thank you everybody for the tips.