PDA

View Full Version : practicing w/ a heavy player's racquet?

aye5882
10-05-2005, 07:42 AM
I was hitting w/ a friend the other day w/ my fischer pro 1 and decided, just for fun, to try out my Wislon Pro Staff Jack Kramer thats been sitting in my trunk for a couple of months. all i can say is that it wasn't pretty. i was spraying all my shots! afterwards, i remembered agassi saying that he would teach his kid tennis using a wooden racquet so he would learn the fundamentals of tennis and not cheat by relying on modern racquets... or something to that effect.

so do you personally think that people should start practing w/ these intimidating sticks to get their foundation down? i'm thinking about hitting against the wall w/ the pro staff again just to solidify my groundstrokes.

Tennis Ball Hitter
10-05-2005, 07:58 AM
There might be a argument for using a heavier racquet to aid in endurnace training. But if you get used to the heavier racquet, you may find that your groundstrokes will not be as heavy when you change back to the lighter racquet.

gurj_v
10-05-2005, 08:00 AM
Yeah I think that begginers should play with smaller rackets becuase it really does, as Agassi says teach the player how to have a good mechanised stoke. My first coach did this and now the mechanics of my game are much better than others at my club that started with modern frames. Having proper mechanics also reduces the risk of tennis elbow which is a HUGE benefit.

Marius_Hancu
10-05-2005, 08:02 AM
we're talking here different swing speeds, you must adapt for these, don't have to swing the same.

Ash Doyle
10-05-2005, 08:35 AM
Practice with the racquet you're going to be using, not something else. Timing, feel, and plenty of other things, will be different between the use of the two racquets.

NoBadMojo
10-05-2005, 09:03 AM
It was Sampras who said that and not Agassi and that was a long tme ago and before even the pros were using lighter bigger frames...i doubt he would still say that. it's useless to practice with frames that arent what you usualy play with..heavy smaller headed low powered frames require diferent technique than modern frames do unless you are alread a terrific and strong player, so unless you wish to play with old technique, i dont sugest doing this.

Bungalo Bill
10-05-2005, 04:14 PM
I was hitting w/ a friend the other day w/ my fischer pro 1 and decided, just for fun, to try out my Wislon Pro Staff Jack Kramer thats been sitting in my trunk for a couple of months. all i can say is that it wasn't pretty. i was spraying all my shots! afterwards, i remembered agassi saying that he would teach his kid tennis using a wooden racquet so he would learn the fundamentals of tennis and not cheat by relying on modern racquets... or something to that effect.

so do you personally think that people should start practing w/ these intimidating sticks to get their foundation down? i'm thinking about hitting against the wall w/ the pro staff again just to solidify my groundstrokes.

I am not a big subscriber of going to a wood racket to learn proper technique. Good technique can be learned with any racket. The wood racket most likely will have a tiny head size which will be a bit more demanding to hit in the sweetspot but that is about it. Today's swing is different with more topspin being delivered. The technique used does not transfer well to a wood small head racket.

Stick with learning on your racket of choice - just learn the right way.