PDA

View Full Version : What stroke to what ball?

Mountainman
10-05-2005, 11:16 AM
After a thorough scan of the post, the majority problems are strokes. I thought about it for couple minutes and realized that the problem is not the strokes. I would like to say that we all know the fundamentals of a stroke but some strokes doesn't work for every ball. I find this true because a lot of us would agree that we hit better during practice than during an actual game. So, I would like to break the clouds of confusion. I know my forehand, backhand, 2handed-backhand, volley, overhead, lob, and drop shot. But the question is do I really know them.

What can I do to carry on the rally when my opponent is really trying to put the ball away, drop-shot, or make a winning hit. I don't want to score the point, at least not yet.

With this question, I think I can really improve my game. I want to be able to hit the ball 15 times before I try to score.

PM_
10-05-2005, 12:51 PM
With this question, I think I can really improve my game. I want to be able to hit the ball 15 times before I try to score.

15 times???????????????? Do you plan on winning by submission b/c your opponent can't stand on his legs anymore?

GrahamIsSuper
10-05-2005, 01:02 PM
It really isn't that weird of a goal. It improves consistency, for one. By saying to yourself "SELF! Let's get every point started and try and hit at LEAST 2 shots (15 is a bit extraordinary) every single time, regardless of how amazing a shot the opponent hits. By giving yourself this mantra, you are pretty much encouraging yourself to go for that one extra ball. This is what Clistjers does, she makes you hit an extra ball, thus giving you an extra oportunity to mess up.

What I usually go to is just the deep floating slice, or slice lob depending on the wind. It's a neutralizing shot. I've also lately been employing a nasty little chip slice that makes opponents tear their hair out. The baseliners in junior play prefer to pound it out from the back, and really get stretched when forced to come in like that.

jayserinos99
10-05-2005, 01:58 PM
I applaud you for trying to keep a rally going for 15 shots; it shows patience and takes a different kind of mentality versus trying to smack winners. One drill that I find very helpful is the 100 ball drill. Basically you and your partner have to rally for at least 100 shots (50-50 each). You're not trying to smack winners against each other but to keep the ball in play. The main trick in this drill as to not get tired is to always keep using your legs and not expending a lot of energy trying to swing out.

As for staying in the point, Graham has it right. A deep floating slice or slice lob with no pace and no angle for your opponent to work with is a good shot. You also want to give yourself enough time to get back into the point to at least have a chance.

rilokiley
10-05-2005, 03:02 PM
try Brad Gilbert's drill--keeping the ball in play for 30 shots, none inside the service line.

All Court
10-05-2005, 03:46 PM
No...the best strokes SHOULD work for every ball. The majority of problems though are preparation -getting in place quickly and setting up quickly.

You just aim to build the point and open the court with whatever strokes or tactics you're comfortable using, and pound it away safely to the open court when possible. Or wrongfoot if they're already scrambling to that side.