PDA

View Full Version : Help!! I was a pusher today!!

Iconn
10-05-2005, 01:31 PM
I am a pretty good allcourt 3.5 player. I haven't played much singles this season but I have probably played doubles at least once every week since this past May. I have a weekly singles match with a player much like myself: full swing, plenty of topspin. We are pretty evenly matched and our record shows it. I can smack the ball when it gets into my wheelhouse.

Today I played a person I should have ran from side to side and beat fairly easily. He wasn't a pusher. His shots did not have the heaviness that my usual partner had, but they were pretty good flat shots, from both sides.

Throughout the match, he dictated pace and I pushed. It seemed like I was reacting to his shots the entire match. I hit so many moonballs!

I'm thinking I need to work on footwork (getting the ball into my wheelhouse more) and/or strategy (dictate the play before my opponent can).

Any thoughts/solutions/tips for avoiding passive play?

Iconn

PM_
10-05-2005, 01:54 PM
Welcome to world of being human.

Marius_Hancu
10-05-2005, 04:06 PM
read
my posting
Playing pushers
in the Sticky at the top of this forum
you'll get ideas pro and con from other threads:-)

Burt Turkoglu
10-05-2005, 11:34 PM
....some days when you're not "feeling it"......it makes sense to play steady....it beats making alot of errors.....on a college team I played in, I could beat all the players by attacking them relentlessly......but my doubles partner would beat me unless I pushed.....he would lose to players I would kill......he must've loved the way I hit the ball or something......but to tell ya the truth, at the time, I'd rather win by pushing than by losing playing my game....anyway.....I wouldn't sweat it if I were you....

Koaske
10-06-2005, 04:03 AM
Pushing is not bad if it helps you win, but some opponents are just too good to overcome by simply pushing, so you have to be able to change play styles. Good players have ability to change their playing style to what is the best against a particular opponent.

Thanatos
10-06-2005, 04:35 AM
I am a pretty good allcourt 3.5 player. I haven't played much singles this season but I have probably played doubles at least once every week since this past May. I have a weekly singles match with a player much like myself: full swing, plenty of topspin. We are pretty evenly matched and our record shows it. I can smack the ball when it gets into my wheelhouse.

Today I played a person I should have ran from side to side and beat fairly easily. He wasn't a pusher. His shots did not have the heaviness that my usual partner had, but they were pretty good flat shots, from both sides.

Throughout the match, he dictated pace and I pushed. It seemed like I was reacting to his shots the entire match. I hit so many moonballs!

I'm thinking I need to work on footwork (getting the ball into my wheelhouse more) and/or strategy (dictate the play before my opponent can).

Any thoughts/solutions/tips for avoiding passive play?

Iconn

It's ok...we were all pushers at one time and some of us are still pushers.
Doubles and singles are two different animals. The court positioning is different and the tactics are different.

I would suggest playing more singles matches with different partners. This will expose you to the different shots that many players can produce. Some players will hit flat balls, while others will hit with tremendous topspin. Some will stay at the baseline rallying, while some will serve-n-volley you to death.

Iconn
10-06-2005, 08:34 AM
Thanks. Good advice all. Marius, I did check your threads before posting, but I wasn't playing a pusher; I was the pusher. I did win my match, so on a positive note, I guess I found a way to win when my game wasn't on.

Camilio Pascual
10-06-2005, 09:31 AM
I have a weekly singles match with a player much like myself: full swing, plenty of topspin. We are pretty evenly matched and our record shows it. I can smack the ball when it gets into my wheelhouse.
Today I played a person I should have... beat fairly easily. His shots did not have the heaviness that my usual partner had, but they were pretty good flat shots, from both sides.

From the things you said above, I'm wondering if the problem is something as simple as getting down low to the ball in your forehand stance by bending your knees more. With topspinners, the ball comes up nicely and you don't have to get down to it. I suspect you are opening up the face of your racquet to get the ball over the net (hence all the moonballs) with a "scooping" type of swing instead of getting down low to the ball to level out your swing. A simple technique adjustment might be all that is needed. Good luck.