PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Playing against a big server!

Jon Hampton
10-05-2005, 04:10 PM
Hey all. Just wanted to get some tips from you guys about playing a big server. I'm on a tennis ladder right now and my record is 1-1. My match this week put me against this huge server...the biggest server I've ever played against. His service motion is similar to Taylor Dent's, except he doesn't S&V. Anyway, his first serve is around 110/120 mph, and his second serve is around 80/90 mph.

At the start of the match, this big server got to a 3-0 lead, holding twice and breaking me once. With him serving so big, I am forced to chip back and slice returns. By doing this, I figured out that his ground strokes are not as solid as mine, and by chipping back balls, I can win a lot of points. He still won the first set at 6-4, but it's 1-1 30-40 on his serve in the second set. During this point, it started to rain, and so the continuation of the match will be played this weekend. Before the match happens, I wanted to see if anyone could offer any further advice on taking on big servers. Thanks in advance!

Exile
10-05-2005, 04:28 PM
didn't we just talk about this earlier in the week?

Exile
10-05-2005, 04:29 PM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=70420

safin_protege
10-05-2005, 04:34 PM
You don't have to chip and slice every return. If you block it back, and use his pace, then you can still hit it deep, and keep him guessing on your return. On my serve, it is easier for me to control the point if my opponent hits a slow, shorter slice, than a faster, deep shot.

Net Cord
10-05-2005, 04:39 PM
I doubt this guy gets all his first serves in if he's hitting at that pace.

What level are you playing at??

You already know you've just got to get his serve back in court ideally as deep as possible. I'd look to just block the returns on the rise on both serves and get into a rallying situation...

If you have time practice by getting a buddy to hit serves at you (hard!) from the service line to groove the returns!!

Best of luck

Jon Hampton
10-05-2005, 07:57 PM
I doubt this guy gets all his first serves in if he's hitting at that pace.

What level are you playing at??

He's getting about 60% of his first serves in. It's 4.5/5.0 level. I've just never returned someone who could get in that many 100+ mph serves. The people I usually play against hit first serves in the high 80's/low 90's with second serves coming in the 60/70's.

theace21
10-05-2005, 10:24 PM
If he hits that hard, it will be tougher for him to pull you out of the court. If he really is a 5.0, he will vary his serve. 4.0 guys like to bang the ball up the T. Shorten back swing and use his pace to return the ball.

Practice by having someone serve to you from 10-15 feet closer that normal. This will help you develop quickness and anticipation...

Burt Turkoglu
10-05-2005, 10:27 PM
He's getting about 60% of his first serves in. It's 4.5/5.0 level. I've just never returned someone who could get in that many 100+ mph serves. The people I usually play against hit first serves in the high 80's/low 90's with second serves coming in the 60/70's.
....if your groundstrokes are stronger....I'd stand back a little farther than normal.....chip and/or block back the returns.....try to get them all back....he may try to serve you wide but he'll miss more as the net is higher....move up on the 2nd serve after a missed serve....if you can hurt him on the return, by all means do.....he will feel more pressure to make his first serve.....most people tighten up a bit and miss even more first serves as one needs to be loose to serve well.....if you can't hurt 'em off the 2nd serve, then just get it back and out groundstroke 'em since you have the superior groundies.....get that break. The momentum is ready to change....then it's a new ballgame....

Jon Hampton
10-09-2005, 08:05 PM
Hey all. Just a little update. I won my match! I won 4-6, 6-4, 6-3. I took some of all of your advice and really concentrated on chipping back the serve and trying to make the points as long as possible. I thought I was in trouble since I haven't played because of bad weather, so I've been going out for the past couple days and trying to work on my serve placement. It really paid off in the match. Most of my games were held at 40-15. In the last set I broke twice to take the game. So, thanks again everyone for your advice and counsel. :)