PDA

View Full Version : Uspta Vs. Usptr

austintennis2005
10-05-2005, 05:43 PM
HI, i was thinking of getting my cert. to teach tennis...what cert. program would you guys recommend? thanks!!!:rolleyes:

Bungalo Bill
10-05-2005, 05:50 PM
HI, i was thinking of getting my cert. to teach tennis...what cert. program would you guys recommend? thanks!!!:rolleyes:

You should first choose what is most recognized in your area.

The West Coast is USPTA, East Coast is PTR.

austintennis2005
10-05-2005, 05:52 PM
i am in texas

Mahboob Khan
10-05-2005, 05:55 PM
Both are good. I am PTR-Certified.

I do believe, however, that you do not become a good coach by attending a workshop .. may be to some degree. Certification gives you the credibility and license so to speak. The most important thing is your own playing skills, teaching skills, your own research how the modern game of tennis is played, trained, and coached; working with groups, getting hands-on experience, communicating with players, solving problems in particular when you have to "sell" right coaching methodology to "wrong" customers, when you have to deal with overzealous parents, when you have to deal with customers who think that they know about tennis development more than you, but in fact their knowledge about tennis development is zero; when idiots judge your work; when a player who breaches discipline through code of conduct violations bad-mouth you, when your sincere work is not recognized and appreciated. These are the things which shape your coaching personality. After you go through these ups and down you become a Professional! Welcome on board!

austintennis2005
10-05-2005, 06:00 PM
thanks mahboob....i will keep that i mind...i am looking forward to the challenge.

NoBadMojo
10-05-2005, 06:28 PM
I would just choose whichever one has the more convenient certification workshop for you. they're pretty much the same and i think the fees are similar. being certified as Mahboob suggests does not mean a person is qualified to teach tennis. it is just something that many clubs require and it makes you sound more qualified to your lessons. i wish the USTA would get more involved w. certification here in the US.

Bungalo Bill
10-05-2005, 10:34 PM
i am in texas

Ask around or call a tennis club. You want to have a certification that is recognized in your area. In California, USPTA dominates. Although the certifications are similar, your marketing efforts are extremely important and you have a better chance to go farther in marketing if you are using the certification that is being promoted in your area.

Certification is just certification. To build your business you need to market and be able to communicate your knowledge on how to play tennis. This means you should spend time studying different approaches to teaching tennis and learn how people learn. Adults learn differently than children and that will dictate your approach to the lesson. You should attend local workshops after certification to keep your skills up and keep improving.

phil10s
10-05-2005, 10:54 PM
I agree w/ MOJO... a USTA certification would be great.

Here in the *******, USPTA is more used. PTR is obviously more recognized in other countries... hence them dropping the US from the front of it.

phil10s
10-05-2005, 10:56 PM
PS- I like the way that you can't name a section of the Country just cause it happens to be in the name of one of TW's rival tennis suppliers...... so in my above post, I will say that...

...Here in the area from Ohio over to Illinois and up to Michigan and Wisconsin.....