PDA

View Full Version : How do I get rated?

BillyBee
10-05-2005, 10:11 PM
After being a recreational player all my life, I'm starting to play a lot more seriously, and I'd like to know where I stand in terms of being able to play club tournaments, etc.

How does one get rated?

theace21
10-05-2005, 10:18 PM
Find a local club and ask the director of tennis. Not sure, but some sections might still have players self rate, and then get adjusted.

Burt Turkoglu
10-05-2005, 11:17 PM
.....I think it's all self-rate these days....not sure though...there used to be rating clinics where you would be rated by pros who watched you play against other players which would cost you about $10 or $20.....the best way to find out would be to play against players of different ratings and you will get a sense of where you should be.....

Thanatos
10-06-2005, 05:52 AM
After being a recreational player all my life, I'm starting to play a lot more seriously, and I'd like to know where I stand in terms of being able to play club tournaments, etc.

How does one get rated?

Another way, is to join a USTA team in your local area. You begin by signing up and giving yourself a self-rating (S). Contact a team captain or coordinator and tell him that you are seriously interested in playing on a team. You may have to tryout, but one you get on a team
you will be matched up with opponnents on the same NTRP level.

After the 1st year of competitive play, the USTA computer rating systems with analyze the results of all your matches and give you a comupterized USTA ranking. It's a way to meet different players, get a ranking, and play competive tennis. It's so competitive that several fist fights have almost broken out.

http://national.usta.com/FormsLogin.asp

tennis-n-sc
10-06-2005, 06:50 AM
If you have been playing against players that are rated and holding your on, you should have a pretty good idea of your rating. All USTA ratings are initially self-rated nowadays. No more ratings clinics. You might ask someone what they think. USTA and club tournaments can be different, so check them out. As was suggested, join a USTA league team. You'll have a ton of fun and be a team atmosphere. By the way, you must over over 19 to play adult tournaments, I think.

cak
10-06-2005, 07:54 AM
Thus far all the answers are good for the US, but you didn't say where you live. Are you from the US?

tennis-n-sc
10-06-2005, 11:53 AM
cak, great point.

Mahboob Khan
10-06-2005, 10:42 PM
In order to know your on-court assessor log on to: www.oncourtassessment.com. Locate your area assessor and go to him. He will assess your overall game and give you an ITN (international tennis number).

My name is Mahboob Khan and I am ITN-3! My score was better than my ITF assessor, Mr. Brendon Sharp. I am so happy.

You will love the test. Do it.

Mahboob Khan

BillyBee
10-06-2005, 11:49 PM
Yes, I'm in the U.S. I'm in San Diego. Thanks for all the great responses. This board is terrific.

Mahboob Khan
10-08-2005, 06:19 PM
And, BillyBee, keep me posted with your experience with the ITN testing.