PDA

View Full Version : How to hit a flat shot with a extreme western grip

xmoustc
10-06-2005, 08:41 PM
I use a extreme western grip and hit most of my forehand with heavy topspin. I found that I could always create quite a few opportunities using heavy topspin to pressure my opponent to return my shot with little pace and depth. But most of the time I could not hit a clean flat winner because I don't know how to flatten out the shot with my extreme weastern grip.
I happen to notice that Nadal doesn't hit a flat winner that much either. Can one hit flat with extreme western grip? If so, can someone share some experience? Thanks a bunch!!!

mistapooh
10-06-2005, 08:46 PM
Well to flatten it while sticking to your western grip is to rotate your palm up so the racket face is square with the ball....I did this with my SW grip and now it keeps migrating to Western. It is so hard to switch back to SW since the wrist coc.king is different between topspin and flat drives....at least for me.

xmoustc
10-06-2005, 09:08 PM
umm...racket face is square with the ball...
Kind of hard for me to picture this...
Do you know which pro is doing this often? I need to find a video to understand better and practice.

Well to flatten it while sticking to your western grip is to rotate your palm up so the racket face is square with the ball....I did this with my SW grip and now it keeps migrating to Western. It is so hard to switch back to SW since the wrist coc.king is different between topspin and flat drives....at least for me.

TENNIS2
10-06-2005, 09:19 PM
I personally don't know since I use SW grip. But my guess is that because much of the spin come from the lowered position of the racquet head, maybe you can hit a more flat shot if you don't drop the head too much. Another way to hit winner is probably hitting the ball on the rise.

Mahboob Khan
10-06-2005, 09:25 PM
The Western grip is already extreme. Please do not make it more extreme. I am against extremism!

For the western forehand the ideal point of contact is between your chest and neck and more out in front. This means that the backswing should be higher than this! This high point of contact will allow you to press the ball more with pronation of your wrist-forearm and the result will be hosed-down shot .. a flatter shot if you will -- and the follow through will be between your left shoulder and waist.

Observe some good western forehand models at www.tennisplayer.net and copy the swing path.

xmoustc
10-06-2005, 09:28 PM
I started playing tennis with eastern (?, I guess), and within 2 years, my grip changed to extreme western for no reason. I just followed my instinct :)
I wish my grip was semi-western.

The Western grip is already extreme. Please do not make it more extreme. I am against extremism!

For the western forehand the ideal point of contact is between your chest and neck and more out in front. This means that the backswing should be higher than this! This high point of contact will allow you to press the ball more with pronation of your wrist-forearm and the result will be hosed-down shot .. a flatter shot if you will -- and the follow through will be between your left shoulder and waist.

Observe some good western forehand models at www.tennisplayer.net and copy the swing path.

TENNIS2
10-06-2005, 09:49 PM
I started playing tennis with eastern (?, I guess), and within 2 years, my grip changed to extreme western for no reason. I just followed my instinct :)
I wish my grip was semi-western.

It's never too late, switch back, join the SW camp!

Rickson
10-07-2005, 04:50 AM
On high balls, don't use the low to high motion. Hit straight through if you're behind the baseline and at a downward angle if you're close to the net and looking for a putaway shot. Roddick uses a western and he has no problem flattening shots on short, high balls for putaways.

ffrpg
10-07-2005, 08:30 AM
It's never too late, switch back, join the SW camp!

I agree. It's never to late to switch to a Semi-Western grip. I was once a full westerner myself and made the switch to a SW grip.

Assassin
10-07-2005, 09:03 AM
In addition to this tips, I recommend more focus because it does require more effort to flatten out shots with this grip, as it does when getting to low balls. I use the grip myself and a good example of a pro to watch video of is Robby Ginepri.

xmoustc
10-07-2005, 02:10 PM
Thanks alot!

In addition to this tips, I recommend more focus because it does require more effort to flatten out shots with this grip, as it does when getting to low balls. I use the grip myself and a good example of a pro to watch video of is Robby Ginepri.