PDA

View Full Version : How to hit volley with heavy ball aimed at you?

a529612
10-07-2005, 05:21 AM
You stand a few steps behind the net to prepare for volley but your heavy hitting opponent hits the ball back aimed at you with a full swing. What's the best way to volley a fast ball like that with depth and angle? I usually just block the ball and it lands weakly near the service line giving my opponent a sitter. Thanks!

Marius_Hancu
10-07-2005, 05:49 AM
don't take the racket back

keep your arms and elbows in front of you, this will help you to hit frontally and not sideways and be late

use the energy of the ball, just move the racket nicely forwards, punching is counterindicated on hard balls

try to look at the ball through the strings whenever possible to make sure you're behind your strike

check my Volleys
posting
in the Sticky at the top of this forum
it might help

Rickson
10-07-2005, 05:53 AM
You stand a few steps behind the net to prepare for volley but your heavy hitting opponent hits the ball back aimed at you with a full swing. What's the best way to volley a fast ball like that with depth and angle? I usually just block the ball and it lands weakly near the service line giving my opponent a sitter. Thanks!
If the ball is coming at a downward angle, you're in trouble. A high volley can easily be put away, even at high speeds, but when an opponent sends one down at you, try a half volley because a volley's gonna pop up on a slam from your opponent.

Camilio Pascual
10-07-2005, 05:58 AM
I assume from your description you mean that the opponent is at the baseline when he hits the ball. Trying to hit a shot with depth and angle at the net is USUALLY NOT the right answer at all!

If it is above net level, this should be a very easy volley to hit skillwise and in terms of tactics for a winner. Angle the ball off SHORT to one side or the other with a very short backswing, using the opponent's pace against him. You should use a small, compact motion to do this, increasing your control. With this shot you are hitting ANGLE BUT NOT DEPTH. Depth here would actually help the baseliner get to it.

If it is BELOW net level, a good drop volley is effective because the ball will get to you quickly and he may not have the time to cover one from the baseline. The way you describe it, this person is not coming in behind (he/she is hitting sitters that bounce on the service line) these shots. So, you are close to the net and he is at the baseline, good time for a drop shot. It is a hard shot to execute from below the net, though. NO DEPTH and maybe NOT ANGLE, either, though it is nice but not always critical to hit into the opposite court from where he/she is standing. I rarely try drop volleys because I am poor at hitting them.
If you don't hit good drop volleys, then you should try hitting it back deep and in front of you to make his passing shot harder and to set up the next shot. DEPTH BUT NOT ANGLE.
Trying to hit with DEPTH AND ANGLE will often put you in the position of trying to hit too good of a shot when something much easier and less complicated will suffice with a greater chance of success. One of the advantages of playing the net is that you can actually avoid trying to hit a complicated shot with depth AND angle.

Marius_Hancu
10-07-2005, 06:06 AM
check also:

High bh volley vs fast balls
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=54582

In doubles, How to volley fast balls hit directly at you?
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=30693

donnyz89
10-09-2005, 08:42 AM
just block them... the harder its hit at you, the easier it is for you to put away.

Radical97
10-09-2005, 11:26 AM
Try a heavy racket.

CivicLx
10-09-2005, 05:31 PM
hell I would just run and hide behind the net...maybe stick my racquet up just in case I could get lucky.

legolas
10-10-2005, 04:34 PM
yea, and it also helps dude, if u got quick instincts