PDA

View Full Version : tips for squaring the racquet head?

akj27
10-07-2005, 11:32 AM
I havent played in 5 days or so, and now when I try to hit my forehand, I cant get the racquet head square anymore, I have too much wrist action now. any tips?

Dedans Penthouse
10-07-2005, 11:57 AM
akj278: when you're getting too "wristy" try choking up on the racquet handle (an inch or so) until the floppy/sloppy handwork subsides--a good Tracy Austin/Brad Gilbert tip.

One other thing to consider:
--Check to make sure your contact point is far enough out in front of you. A lot of times people will use "wrist" in an attempt to speed up the racquet head because they're hitting "late."

Have a friend feed you balls s-l-o-w-l-y in order for you to focus on being smooth (good shoulder turn, etc.) and not slappy-happy with the wrist. You don't want to feel rushed while you're trying to re-gain the firm/solid feel. You'll know you're on the path back when your contact point in the sweet spot becomes more comfortable and consistent; that is, your racquet face isn't "drifting" from shot-to-shot. Now, by NOT using the wrist, that doesn't mean "tighten up" the wrist or the forearm--so don't "muscle" the ball on the other hand either. No muscle-just hustle.

Btw, Gee akj27........I wonder whatever happened to the "Build your worst pro" thread? ;-) Hmmmm.....It probably went "Poof! as a result of some certain request by a certain someone who was getting hammered (in spite of his hillariously unsuccessful attempts at trying to 'saving face') and who probably blubbered and whined to the powers-that-be: "WHAAAA!!!! PWEEEZEE DEWEETE THIS THREAD!!!!....WHAAA...'DIS GUY IS MAKING ME LOOK LIKE A IDIOT!!!....BWAAA!!" :razz:

akj27
10-07-2005, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the tip, I'll try that next time I play( in 2 hours)

And yeah, he requested an admin to delete the thread, he couldnt handle it lol.

Btw, have you seen his thread on this forum? He said he cant hit a slice, lol, even my 10 years old brother can hit a slice, I think his muscles get in the way, I dont know.

FiveO
10-07-2005, 01:20 PM
Dedans makes a good point about ensuring your contact is out in front. To me that translates back to the beginning. Preparation. Make sure you're picking up the direction and depth of the opponent's ball off his string bed. That's where your awareness should be focused and when your unit turn should begin. It's easy to go a little mind numb out there and first be aware when the ball is crossing the net. Be alert, be prepared EARLY and it will eliminate most of the last nano-second wrist adjustments that can follow.

The problem may be mechanical, you may have a "busy" wrist, consciously or unconsciously manipulating it throughout the take back and into contact, actively and artificially moving/adjusting your wrist position throughout those phases of the stroke. For instance you may be forcing racquet face toward the side fence at the height of the backswing and maybe to face the court at the lowest point prior to the forward swing. If you do that, don't. Simple fix. Maintain a quiet, fixed (not tense) wrist position. Drill: w/o hitting a ball, mime your contact point on the fh, square face, out in front, upper body rotated, just as you would hit a fh in anger. That's your fh wrist position, angle and attitude. Keep that one position and go back to the ready position w/o moving the wrist, again no tension, don't squeeze the handle, just maintain the position. From the ready with the wrist in that "fixed" angle and lay-back position go through your unit turn take back and your forward swing w/o making any wrist inputs that cause it to deviate in angle or attitude. Done properly the racquet can't do anything but end up in the proper position at contact without wrist adjustments or "wristiness".

On the court focus entirely on the contact zone and the contact point itself. Be more precise than just hitting the ball. Imagine the ball is a diamond cut sphere with hundreds of facets on it. Pick the one facet on the back of the ball, near its equator and hit through that one specific point on the ball. Emphasize and lengthen the hitting zone maintaining a racquet face which faces your chosen target for 6" prior to and 6" after contact, which is the description of "Hitting through the ball". Hitting through eliminates wristiness. Hit through the ball.

Good Luck.

akj27
10-12-2005, 12:19 PM
nice, thanks for the help