PDA

View Full Version : Which Is Easier? 1HBH to 2HBH or Vise Versa?

CivicLx
10-07-2005, 12:35 PM
I don't know if this has been asked before but I'm wondering which you guys think is easier; to go from a 1HBH to 2 or 2HBH to 1 because I have a friend that made the switch from 2 to 1 easily, and I use a 1HBH and I don't think I could hit a 2HBH to save my life:confused:

What about you guys?

Tenny
10-07-2005, 12:45 PM
I don't know if this has been asked before but I'm wondering which you guys think is easier; to go from a 1HBH to 2 or 2HBH to 1 because I have a friend that made the switch from 2 to 1 easily, and I use a 1HBH and I don't think I could hit a 2HBH to save my life:confused:

What about you guys?

For me 1HBH came naturally. Recently I've tried 2HBH casually (to become a more versatile player than Roger) but it was very awkward. I couldn't achieve enough speed and good smooth rotation of body. I don't really need to learn 2HBH but wouldn't it be cool if I can use both? But for some, 1HBH might be tougher.

GrahamIsSuper
10-07-2005, 01:16 PM
I think its easier to go from a 2 to a 1. I went from a shifty 2 to a solid 1 in about 1.5 months. Now, I cannot hit a 2 hander to save my life, its a very awkward movement for me now.

CivicLx
10-07-2005, 01:20 PM
LOL...we're all in the same boat...and if we paddle as well as we hit 2HBHs, well then it's not looking good for us:mrgreen: most of the people I've seen playing here at school and at the club use a 2 but it just feels awkward to me...I've been playing for a couple years now and the 1 just feels so natural.

Rickson
10-07-2005, 03:06 PM
It depends on the person. I went from a 2 to 1 and can use both to this day, but I never use the 2 during match play. I sometimes use the 2 when I mess around during rallies, but I definitely feel better with the 1 these days. I've never met anyone who went from a 1 to a 2 so my answer is switching from a 2 to 1 is easier because you'll never be able to find the reverse. ;)

cak
10-07-2005, 03:06 PM
I went from a 1h to 2h (elbow injuries...) and I didn't find it that hard. However, I'm fairly ambidexterous, so using my left arm wasn't that difficult, kind of like switch hitting in baseball. However, I've been using the 2h for over a year, and the one hander never really goes away. I can still hit a decent one hander, and switch back and forth in a rally, with no problems.

Bungalo Bill
10-07-2005, 05:49 PM

What about you guys?

Very few good solid players have made the switch from a twohander to a onehander. The mechanics, timing, contact point is much different. Lets put this at a decent level. Division I College. I know of several players that wanted to trade in their twohander for a onehander. So they did. They gave it a solid year and all of them switched back. There is one guy that I know that did switch, Sampras. But he is a different animal all together. What I am saying is, I am sure there are those out there that did make the switch. They had good coaching and discipline to do it. But there are way more that couldn't for whatever reason.

The 2HBH will feel awkward for 30 days. Very awkward. It should feel awkward for the majority. You are planting and distributing your wieght shifting off the weaker side of the body. You are getting used to relaxing the dominant arm and using the non-dominant arm which is weaker and less coordinated. So it should feel awkward, stiff, thuddy, and whatever else you can think of.

It is my opinion that it takes less time to hit the ball well with a 2HBH than a 1HBH. It takes a different bread to hit a 2HBH than a 1HBH.

The onehander is more of a linear swing path, the twohander is more rotational. Both can hit the ball with power. I am not a believer that one is more powerful than the other. The things you should be aware of when you are choosing are:

1. Do I like to use my torso and large muscles to power through the ball?

2. Do I see the ball better hitting a twohander or a onehander?

3. Do I like hitting the ball with a contact point a little further back or more forward?

4. Does the extra precision in how my feet move for the twohander bother me?

5. Does the extra precision needed to time the ball for the onehander bother me?

Other things that might help you choose are:

1. Do I have a come forward game? Or do I like to hang out at the baseline and hammer the ball.

2. Which do I make more clean contact with?

Although a lot of these can be practiced through, my point is although you may "want" a onehander, you might be wired to hit a twohander. Or vice versa. Just be open about it.

Ztalin
10-07-2005, 06:45 PM
Very few good solid players have made the switch from a twohander to a onehander. The mechanics, timing, contact point is much different. Lets put this at a decent level. Division I College. I know of several players that wanted to trade in their twohander for a onehander. So they did. They gave it a solid year and all of them switched back. There is one guy that I know that did switch, Sampras. But he is a different animal all together. What I am saying is, I am sure there are those out there that did make the switch. They had good coaching and discipline to do it. But there are way more that couldn't for whatever reason.

The 2HBH will feel awkward for 30 days. Very awkward. It should feel awkward for the majority. You are planting and distributing your wieght shifting off the weaker side of the body. You are getting used to relaxing the dominant arm and using the non-dominant arm which is weaker and less coordinated. So it should feel awkward, stiff, thuddy, and whatever else you can think of.

It is my opinion that it takes less time to hit the ball well with a 2HBH than a 1HBH. It takes a different bread to hit a 2HBH than a 1HBH.

The onehander is more of a linear swing path, the twohander is more rotational. Both can hit the ball with power. I am not a believer that one is more powerful than the other. The things you should be aware of when you are choosing are:

3. Do I like hitting the ball with a contact point a little further back or more forward?

5. Does the extra precision needed to time the ball for the onehander bother me?

1. Do I have a come forward game? Or do I like to hang out at the baseline and hammer the ball.

Although a lot of these can be practiced through, my point is although you may "want" a onehander, you might be wired to hit a twohander. Or vice versa. Just be open about it.

You pretty much hit it dead on for me... 30 days it was VERY awkward. Energy transfer was horrible, timing was off, always hitting balls into the net with no pace. Now... well that's a whole 'nother story.

I switched from a so-so 1 hander to a MUCH better two hander (and I'm glad I did) in a fairly short amount of time... now I can't hit a 1 handed drive at all. Mechanics are so much different from the two hander and 1 handed slice.

Zeph
10-07-2005, 09:26 PM
Can anyone hit both 1hd and 2hd? I saw someone recently at a club, who had outstanding groundstrokes. He was able to hit incredible 1 hd'ers and 2 hd'ers both like they were his ordinary stroke.

Rickson
10-07-2005, 09:52 PM
Can anyone hit both 1hd and 2hd? I saw someone recently at a club, who had outstanding groundstrokes. He was able to hit incredible 1 hd'ers and 2 hd'ers both like they were his ordinary stroke.
I think almost every 1 handed player can hit a 2 hander because it's easier, but not every 2 hander can hit a 1 hander.

SageOfDeath
10-08-2005, 12:40 AM

Of course anyone can if they invest enough time but I think time would be better invested in improving other skills rather than having both backhands.

TennsDog
10-08-2005, 12:46 PM
I have actually done both and I found going from one to two easier than two to one. I was self-taught for years, then my HS coach told me to try two hands. Within about 5 days my two-hander was as good or better than my one-hander. Then, after about 4 years of the two hands, I tried to go back and relearn the one-handed backhand, but I was unable to control it at all. I think it largely depends on the person: their style, strength, form, build, natural 'feel' preference, etc.

thejackal
10-08-2005, 02:10 PM
IMO, one-handers are easy to learn (slice and dink), but extremely hard to master.

DX_Psycho
10-08-2005, 02:53 PM
i use a 2hander but i use 1hand slice for my approaches and just to mx up my game.

rilokiley
10-09-2005, 03:54 AM
my brother used 1 hander for about two years before he finally switched to 2 hander and he picked it up in about 2 months.
on the other hand I've never thought about going one hander. never ever
/hand hand hand

Bungalo Bill
10-09-2005, 11:36 AM
I think almost every 1 handed player can hit a 2 hander because it's easier, but not every 2 hander can hit a 1 hander.

I think you might find the opposite to be true Rickson. Moving and swinging the onehander is easier. But it is harder to master.

The twohander to the majority of adults is harder. A lot of people who start learning the twohander find it clunky. It takes time to coodinate the opposite side to hit. Plus, the twohander requires light feet, and feet that can swivel through the swing motion. A majority of club players feet are usually stuck in the mud.

It could be that you find the twohander easy because you are very athletic and coodinated on the non-dominant side. But this is not the case with those that are very dominant on the side they hit their forehand. It takes time to get comfortable for these people.

Tuffy
10-09-2005, 05:54 PM
I find that I tend to use both, but the 1H is more a matter of necessity due to "old legs". I am under the impression that I hit the 2H better on high bounces and the 1H better on low balls, though. Again, that's probably just a function of positioning in my case.

Tuffy

CivicLx
10-09-2005, 06:36 PM
thanks for the replies. I just feel so uncoordinated on the 2 handed. I couldn't even imagine where I would hit the ball with a 2 hander...into the net, out into another court behind me...the 1 just feels so free. I suppose with someone coaching me I could get it down ok but I'm happy sticking with the 1 for now:)

Rickson
10-09-2005, 06:50 PM
I think you might find the opposite to be true Rickson. Moving and swinging the onehander is easier. But it is harder to master.

The twohander to the majority of adults is harder. A lot of people who start learning the twohander find it clunky. It takes time to coodinate the opposite side to hit. Plus, the twohander requires light feet, and feet that can swivel through the swing motion. A majority of club players feet are usually stuck in the mud.

It could be that you find the twohander easy because you are very athletic and coodinated on the non-dominant side. But this is not the case with those that are very dominant on the side they hit their forehand. It takes time to get comfortable for these people.
Thanks for the compliment, Bill, but it's easier for me because I used to use the 2 hander. ;)

bobby
10-09-2005, 07:40 PM

I've been playing tennis for almost two years now and have used the one-hander the whole time. I've only experimented with the two hander over the course of a week or so, never longer. My backhand is definitely my weaker groundstroke, and I fear that I may just "want" a one hander. My forehand is pretty powerful, and I generate most of my power from my torso rotation. Also, I love to sit at the baseline and hammer groundstrokes. Thus, I think that the two hander may be the better stroke for me, but every time I think about switching, the two-hander feels akward and I am unwilling to put in the time to really try it out. If my backhand is the weaker wing (significantly), should I try out the two hander, or just work on improving my one hander?

bobby
10-09-2005, 07:46 PM
Also, I feel like I am giving up every time I think about switching to the two hander.

Rickson
10-09-2005, 07:47 PM
I've been playing tennis for almost two years now and have used the one-hander the whole time. I've only experimented with the two hander over the course of a week or so, never longer. My backhand is definitely my weaker groundstroke, and I fear that I may just "want" a one hander. My forehand is pretty powerful, and I generate most of my power from my torso rotation. Also, I love to sit at the baseline and hammer groundstrokes. Thus, I think that the two hander may be the better stroke for me, but every time I think about switching, the two-hander feels akward and I am unwilling to put in the time to really try it out. If my backhand is the weaker wing (significantly), should I try out the two hander, or just work on improving my one hander?
Don't do it! Keep the one hander and make improvements on it. The grass is always greener and although it seems like the 2 hander is the better stroke for hammering shots from the baseline, many 2 handers think the same thing of the 1 handed backhand. I've used both and IMO, the 1 hander is more versatile and it's a stroke worth keeping. I feel that switching to a 2 hander would be a backwards step for you so just work on it instead of trying something new.

MTXR
10-09-2005, 09:22 PM
I have actually been thinking of switching to the 1hbh because of the versitility but, i have always played with the 2hander. I dunno if i should just work on the 2 hander or completely switch it up. I am still deciding.

Rickson
10-09-2005, 09:49 PM
I have actually been thinking of switching to the 1hbh because of the versitility but, i have always played with the 2hander. I dunno if i should just work on the 2 hander or completely switch it up. I am still deciding.
I may not recommend switching from a 1 hander to a 2, but I'd definitely go for the reverse. Make the switch and don't look back. You will have no regrets except for not doing it sooner.

rilokiley
10-09-2005, 10:58 PM
that was the case with my brother--his backhand was significantly weaker than his forehand and that's why he lost to ppl that he shouldn't have. after about two years he got his coach to teach him 2 hander and now he is a lot more comfortable. (and is winning.)

blue03
10-10-2005, 05:16 AM
hi all i'm new here..when i started tennis a year ago, i use 2H backhand..now i changed to 1H which i found very suitable with me. I prefer 1H because it's easier to hit the slice(for high balls) and i can do backhand easier although mine lacks the power. Anyway i tried everyday to improve my 1H backhand and will try to master it. Just look at Federer's 1H backhand..it's way too cool :p
IMHO, 1H looks cooler than 2H backhand..

bluegrasser
10-10-2005, 05:29 AM
I always wanted to use a 2hbh, but it never felt fluid , the problem with my 1hbh is i can slice it consistently, but can't drive it unless it's a sitter, or coming at a slow pace, if it's coming with speed and I try to drive it, I mishit the ball alot.

TennsDog
10-12-2005, 06:22 AM
I don't think telling people to use one-handed backhand is a cure-all. It is preference, some people are naturally going to be better at one than the other. I used to use one-hand, switching to two made it drastically better. Then later I wanted to go back to one hand, only I couldn't. I don't have the feel of the one-handed backhand. It was far from a backward step for me to add the second hand, and it would be detrimental to my game were I to try to revert to one hand again.

I also have a question: why does the one-hander being better for slice always come into play with questions like these? Do people who have never used a one-handed backhand really have that much trouble hitting a backhand slice with one hand? When I talk about the backhand shot, it refers to an at least neutral, if not aggressive, rally shot with topspin or perhaps flat. Slice is a completely different stroke that everyone should have no matter how many hands you use otherwise.

Bungalo Bill
10-12-2005, 09:04 AM
I don't think telling people to use one-handed backhand is a cure-all. It is preference, some people are naturally going to be better at one than the other.

Exactly, one is not better than the other. Each stroke has its strengths and weaknesses. It should be up to the player and what he is made for. Sometimes though a stroke may feel natural at first but doesn't mean it is the right stroke for the player.

I also have a question: why does the one-hander being better for slice always come into play with questions like these? Do people who have never used a one-handed backhand really have that much trouble hitting a backhand slice with one hand? When I talk about the backhand shot, it refers to an at least neutral, if not aggressive, rally shot with topspin or perhaps flat. Slice is a completely different stroke that everyone should have no matter how many hands you use otherwise.

Yes, I agree and I also consider the "onehander" especially when it is being compared to the "twohander" as the topspin/flat version of the stroke. The slice is a stroke everyone should have no matter the backhand choice. It is very easy for a twohander to hit a slice or learn to hit a slice (especially if they use a bottomhand continental) by letting go the tophand. For some it does take practice but I have never met anyone that couldn't overcome their issues in this stroke.

It may take longer for someone to get it, but with good coaching and discipline the slice backhand is a good one to know for everyone.

Maledizione
10-12-2005, 01:31 PM
I desperately wanted a 2HBH for the longest, but it was for a lazy reason.
I could hit a good 1HBH, when balls were being fed to my backhand and I was already waiting with eastern grip.
However when my coach mixed it up I couldn't change to the eastern backhand on auto-pilot like I could with my strong eastern to continental and back. I definitely couldn't do it in a match.
So I decided on a 2HBH so I would use a continental and eastern. However, the stroke felt SOO awkward.

So one day, I'm watching Henin Hardenne and see her hold the throat of the racquet with left hand and then move right hand to eastern grip (or western in her case). That was my EUREKA moment.
It was all gravy after that.

My gf is the opposite of me. She wanted a 1HBH so badly, but hers kept flying. She studied V.Williams 2hander and now it is her strongest shot.

I suppose switching from 2H to 1H would be easier if your are predisposed to the mechanics of a 1H and vice versa.