PDA

View Full Version : Tournaments

EgYpTiAnMaTT91
10-07-2005, 04:03 PM
Where are you supposed to go/what are you supposed to do to join a tournament? Also, what are the differences between USTA and other types of tournaments? I still have a long way to go before I start playing tournaments but I just wanted to know for future reference.

Thanks

All Court
10-07-2005, 04:38 PM
USTA tournaments give you rankings. Other tournaments are...well, just for fun.

Look at the usta.com site and you can find tourneys in your area.

SageOfDeath
10-07-2005, 04:49 PM
Where are you supposed to go/what are you supposed to do to join a tournament? Also, what are the differences between USTA and other types of tournaments? I still have a long way to go before I start playing tournaments but I just wanted to know for future reference.

Thanks

There are many different USTA tournaments and a few of them are at novice level so maybe you aren't too far away at all.

EgYpTiAnMaTT91
10-07-2005, 05:55 PM
I looked on USTA's website and I couldn't find a place to register anywhere. And is all you do register on line and then show up at the tournament? Also, are there different level tournaments specified for certain level players or do you sign up for a different level or what??

Thanks

EDIT: I just found out how you register but it says: " To use TennisLink, cookies must be enabled in the user's browser. For more information, please go to your browser's help menu." What do I do to make it work? Also, do novice tournaments give you rankings?

SageOfDeath
10-07-2005, 06:42 PM
go to your tools on your internet exploer window. internet options. Then privacy and set it to medium press ok. you can change it back if you want.

if it still doesn't work it could be you have a firewall and may need to turn it off temporarily.

GrahamIsSuper
10-07-2005, 07:21 PM
You can also mail in your entries and most places also take them in person. It's easiest to do on the internet because you can go back and get start times, places, etc.

HookEmJeff
10-07-2005, 07:36 PM
What part of the country do you live in? Look for the USTA Section in your area --go to www.usta.com (http://www.usta.com) and look under USTA Sections. If you live in Texas, well, obviously, that's your section. If you live in Fla, then look there.
Once you get to your Section website, look for Adult Competition. Then try to find "tournament quicklinks" or something that gives you a monthly listing of events in your area. If you have a problem, call the USTA Section you live in and ask them to guide you through it. They'll be more than willing to do that.

Jeff

EgYpTiAnMaTT91
10-08-2005, 10:43 AM
I just have a couple more questions. First is, do you have to be a USTA member to use the Tennis Link thing on the website?? And also, when you register for a tournament, do you say if you're a 3.0 or 3.5 or something, or are there specific tournaments for certain level people?

Thanks

EgYpTiAnMaTT91
10-08-2005, 05:59 PM
Oh, and if you enter the novice level tournaments would they still give you rankings?

Thanks

Mahboob Khan
10-08-2005, 06:15 PM
I am a USTA member and in order for you to participate in USTA tournaments you ought to be a USTA member to reap their other benefits.

I do not know your age but if you are under 18, you can also participate in the ITF 18U tournaments. Log on to their site: www.itftennis.com/juniors or www.itfjuniors.com.

SageOfDeath
10-08-2005, 11:48 PM
Oh, and if you enter the novice level tournaments would they still give you rankings?

Thanks

I'm not sure, all I know is that I think you have to play in open or higher to get points which I think is for rankings but when you get a membership they will give you a booklet that will answer any questions you have.

EgYpTiAnMaTT91
10-10-2005, 04:34 PM
Just one more question. Do you sign up for a tournament as a 3.0, 3.5, 4.0, etc.. or are there specified tournaments for each level??

Thanks

HookEmJeff
10-14-2005, 08:33 PM
Egyptian...go to a local club or public tennis center and ask to be rated by a tennis pro. Just ask one if they'll watch when you're hitting with someone else just to give you a quick indication of where you should play. Or, just get a consensus from the people that DO know their ratings and ask them what yours might be.
You're going to be self-rating before you get an ACTUAL computer rating and start playing in tournaments and leagues anyway, so you might as well get a good gauge on your ability prior to entering. Besides, you'll get bumped or a team will file a grievance on you (if you're too good), so if you make a bad guess on your NTRP, it will be a hassle down the road Besides, you don't want to be playing too far down or too far up.
To register for a USTA tournament on TennisLink, you *will need a USTA membership. To even ENTER a USTA tournament through the online process, you will have to be a member, because it prompts you for your Membership #. Otherwise, they'll tell you that once you get to the tournament. If people are running those USTA tournaments without getting your #, you might not be a member. If you play someone who is NOT a member, you will not get points on your ranking (which sucks for you!).
There are plenty of benefits to being a USTA member, among them, supporting the game in the United States, getting a Tennis Magazine and USTA Magazine subscription, ability to play in leagues, etc.
Yes, there are specialized levels for you to play in. 2.0 is a rank beginner. It goes all the way to 7.0 (Which is basically Roger Federer and the like).
For every level you increase, you go up a half point.
Like I told you, go to your local Section website and just play around on that site. Read a lot of the info on the ADULT COMPETITION and USA LEAGUE TENNIS (not Team Tennis - that's juniors!!!). And if you have any questions about how to get into tournaments, ask your Section's league coordinator. Use this link to help you find out which Section you're in.
http://www.usta.com/site_services/custom.sps?iType=961&icustompageid=6107

Jeff

HookEmJeff
10-14-2005, 08:41 PM
By the way Egypt, you can get a ranking at just about any level, mainly from 3.0 to Open. The bulk of the players in leagues in the US fall between the 3.0 and 4.0 categories. The USTA has leagues for just about all levels between 2.5 and Open, though the ones most prevalent are between 3.0 and 5.0.
If you're a Senior (aged 50) you can play on a Senior League team and a regular Adult team. If you're older than 60, you can play on a SUPER Senior team, a Senior Team AND a Regular Adult Team! The older you get, the more you can play. Tennis really is a sport for a lifetime!

Jeff

EgYpTiAnMaTT91
10-14-2005, 09:46 PM
Would it be the same process if you're a junior?

Also, I'm still a little confused on the rating thing (sorry I'm slow!). Are there tournaments/leagues specified for certain level players or are the tournaments for all levels and the player just signs up for what level they are at??

Thanks

P.S. Sorry I'm getting a little annoying, but I'm just having some trouble understanding.

tennis-n-sc
10-15-2005, 05:56 AM
If you are a junior, you enter tounaments at age levels and take your chances. You may be playing beginners to ranked players. FAsten your seat belt. And yes, you have to be a member of USTA to play in USTA tourneys. If you are a junior, forget about ratings, I've never seen a junior tourney that had rating levels.

rfederer32291
10-15-2005, 06:57 AM
In my section, New england, there are different levels of competition, level 7, level 6, level 5, level 4, and level 3. Level 2 and Level 1 tournaments are national. The 3,4,5,6, and 7 levels are for more basic competition, with level 7 being the lowest level. This level is good for starting players in the USTA.

SageOfDeath
10-15-2005, 10:30 AM
Well over here in the US, the rankings are quite different, if you were playing at a 7.0 level you might just want to wear protective clothing because you might just be facing Andy Roddick on the other side with a 150 mph serve!.

yes as tennis-n-sc said, as a junior I haven't seen a tourney with ratings but I would start out at challanger and see how well you do. Play in a couple to see. Assuming the draw for challanger was small if you made it into the finals or better won in them I would choose to play in open. If you lost but you don't find the players to be overwhelming, I would stick with it. Play better players to get better.

rfederer32291
10-15-2005, 01:12 PM
Well over here in the US, the rankings are quite different, if you were playing at a 7.0 level you might just want to wear protective clothing because you might just be facing Andy Roddick on the other side with a 150 mph serve!.

yes as tennis-n-sc said, as a junior I haven't seen a tourney with ratings but I would start out at challanger and see how well you do. Play in a couple to see. Assuming the draw for challanger was small if you made it into the finals or better won in them I would choose to play in open. If you lost but you don't find the players to be overwhelming, I would stick with it. Play better players to get better.
ya in my area, a challenger is= to a level 7, and a championship= a level 6

EgYpTiAnMaTT91
10-15-2005, 02:07 PM
Haha..I think I get it. I went on USTA's website and I searched Southern California and all the tournaments showed up. If I'm understanding this right, it says something like BG(18-10)s with each tournament which means that it's for boys and girls from age 10-18 right?? Also it says there are novice tournaments and satellite tournaments, what's the difference between these two and do you get rankings for both of them?? And if I enter one of these tournaments in the Boy's 14's, for all I know, I could be playing the #1 ranked player in my age group, correct?

rfederer32291
10-15-2005, 02:35 PM
Haha..I think I get it. I went on USTA's website and I searched Southern California and all the tournaments showed up. If I'm understanding this right, it says something like BG(18-10)s with each tournament which means that it's for boys and girls from age 10-18 right?? Also it says there are novice tournaments and satellite tournaments, what's the difference between these two and do you get rankings for both of them?? And if I enter one of these tournaments in the Boy's 14's, for all I know, I could be playing the #1 ranked player in my age group, correct?
yes, if you get a bad draw.

EgYpTiAnMaTT91
10-15-2005, 03:17 PM
Also, I found Open tournaments and just Jr. tournaments can someone tell me the difference between these 4 types of tournaments and if you get rankings for all of them? (Novice, Satellite, Open, and just Jr.)

rubberbanddampener
10-15-2005, 06:27 PM
do you have to pay?

EgYpTiAnMaTT91
10-16-2005, 02:10 PM
do you have to pay?

Is anything free nowadays? :p

EgYpTiAnMaTT91
10-17-2005, 05:26 PM
Also, I found Open tournaments and just Jr. tournaments can someone tell me the difference between these 4 types of tournaments and if you get rankings for all of them? (Novice, Satellite, Open, and just Jr.)

Anyone know??

rfederer32291
10-17-2005, 05:30 PM
well play about 25 tournaments a year, and the average amount is $40.