PDA

View Full Version : racquet wobbling !!!! help bungalo bill

visit_faraz
10-08-2005, 09:28 PM
hi,
I have been following the easi tennis techniques and my game has improved so much and i am very consistent. the problem starts when i want to hit harder balls and swing hard. the racquet head then starts to wobble and so its difficult for me to control the swing.

One more problem is that when sometimes the courts are moist and the balls get a little heavier due to the moisture the racquet wobbles when i contact the ball with it. i mean that when the strings meet the ball, the racquet head shakes and i am unable to control the stroke and it is a very bad feeling.

I hope i was able to make myself clear. so please tell me what could the problem be. and how to correct this problem.

thanks in advance
bye

nViATi
10-08-2005, 09:33 PM
hi,
I have been following the easi tennis techniques and my game has improved so much and i am very consistent. the problem starts when i want to hit harder balls and swing hard. the racquet head then starts to wobble and so its difficult for me to control the swing.

One more problem is that when sometimes the courts are moist and the balls get a little heavier due to the moisture the racquet wobbles when i contact the ball with it. i mean that when the strings meet the ball, the racquet head shakes and i am unable to control the stroke and it is a very bad feeling.

I hope i was able to make myself clear. so please tell me what could the problem be. and how to correct this problem.

thanks in advance
bye
maybe you are missing the sweetspot? try keeping your eye on the ball or the contact zone

SageOfDeath
10-08-2005, 11:51 PM
It could be a few things, missing the sweetspot, the racquet itself, your racquet angle. I find if the racquet angle is slightly closed it doesn't wobble.

Burt Turkoglu
10-09-2005, 12:24 AM
....could be those things....could even be the racket....some rackets don't have very good stability....you might try some lead tape....that may help...it may not...when I was experimenting with rackets a few years ago, there was one I really liked but its stability was terrible, especially on hard hit balls slightly off-center....I tried lead tape but it didn't work....I found a racket that was fairly stable....I added a little lead tape and it plays great now.....are you a beginner? Using a very light racket? A head light racket? A thin beam or widebody?

KickServer
10-09-2005, 12:51 AM
Adding lead tape at the 3 and 9 o'clock solved the problem with my PK type S. Made it a lot more stable especially when return hard shots, plus I feel less vibration.

visit_faraz
10-09-2005, 01:58 AM
well, i think i should have told you people which racquet i am using. so here it is------ wilson hypercarbon prostaff 5.0 (midplus).

and i am not a beginner. i have been playing for a few years and have been making some changes to my strokes using the easi tennis techniques and have benefitted from them. just this wobbling thing comes up. i dont know if this is due to some unstability in my strokes . i mean if i should change my technique or maybe just try and watch the ball a little more carefully.

and yes i remember one more thing. sometimes it happens that the grip is a little slippery and my racquet slightly turns during contact with the ball.
( I use a semiwestern grip).

the feeling is really bad when that happens because usually i am a very very consistent player and i can flatten it when i want to but its just when the wobbling thing happens. just gives me a bad mood.

i keep the racquet face vertical not even slightly closed and sometimes the face just turns and wobbles during contact.

actually i was thinking if i should change the racquet or something , but if that is due to a problem with my stroke then it is a very depressing thought because i am working hard on my strokes.

please keep ur suggestions coming. thanks.

FiveO
10-09-2005, 10:26 AM
well, i think i should have told you people which racquet i am using. so here it is------ wilson hypercarbon prostaff 5.0 (midplus).

and i am not a beginner. i have been playing for a few years and have been making some changes to my strokes using the easi tennis techniques and have benefitted from them. just this wobbling thing comes up. i dont know if this is due to some unstability in my strokes . i mean if i should change my technique or maybe just try and watch the ball a little more carefully.

and yes i remember one more thing. sometimes it happens that the grip is a little slippery and my racquet slightly turns during contact with the ball.
( I use a semiwestern grip).

the feeling is really bad when that happens because usually i am a very very consistent player and i can flatten it when i want to but its just when the wobbling thing happens. just gives me a bad mood.

i keep the racquet face vertical not even slightly closed and sometimes the face just turns and wobbles during contact.

actually i was thinking if i should change the racquet or something , but if that is due to a problem with my stroke then it is a very depressing thought because i am working hard on my strokes.

please keep ur suggestions coming. thanks.

unfortunately, wobbles are "mis-hits", missing the sweetspot of the stringbed. The causes for this can be many but there most likely is a technical flaw in the stroke, especially if it happens only when you're trying to amp up the speed of your shot. If any one of us could "center" our hits 100% of the time we could play well gripping the racquet with just two fingers, the thumb and middle. And, on the other hand if you miss the sweetspot by too great a margin, even if holding the racquet in a death grip, the racquet will still torque or twist on contact. (DO NOT GRIP THE RACQUET TOO TIGHTLY).

I'd be interested in knowing which frame you are using right now. It too could be contributing to your problem in combination with your hitting style and abilities. The PS 6.0 has a notoriously small sweetspot which allows for a smaller margin of variance before contact falls outside the sweetspot and the wobbling starts.

Getting back to mechanics. Everyone has their own 100% swing speed. The speed at which they accelerate at max and still keep the ball under control the majority of the time. Rally speed should be about 80% of that max speed. You should reserve hitting harder than that for true offensive situations. That means when the circumstances are ideal for you. With time, with your hitting stance inside the baseline and when you are assured of contacting the ball at the "ideal" contact point, out in front and with a sw fh grip between navel and sternum height. Unless all those parameters are met trying to crush the ball will generally result in some kind of UE. Also when many players try amp up, they will swing "hard" immediately from the end of the take back through to the follow-through. Remember, even though the you want the racquet to move faster in these circumstances it still must accelerate throughout the forward swing, not go from 0% to 100% in the first inches of forward movement.

If your mis-hits are coming more often on your higher velocity shots, you are sacrificing some precision in your mechanics. Hitting a solid or clean ball, even at high speed has to do with centering the ball and linearization through the hitting zone. Aligning the racquet face behind the ball and moving through to the target must be precise or you will mis-hit it. Most players mis-hit the ball at the bottom of the frame (actually the side of the frame closest to the court during any groundie) including Federer, resulting in a mis-hit, torque and the racquet handle twisting in their hand. Too extreme of a forward swing path low to high increases the likelihood of a mishit. Pulling your eyes up to see the result of your shot will pull your head up and the body will follow pulling the racquet up (even across) and off its linear path through the contact zone.

In short, when trying to add pace you have to maintain your technique. Be smooth and accelerate instead of just plain swinging faster. Most importantly accentuate linearization phase to and through the contact zone (6"prior to 6" after contact). Don't allow speed to pull the racquet up and/or across and off the ball. The swing path should be low to high but hit through the ball.

visit_faraz
10-09-2005, 08:44 PM
thanks fiveO , that was a very good reply .

about the frame that i am using . it is the Wilson hypercarbon prostaff 5.0 of the midplus variety. i am able to relate to what you are saying. when i was focussing on the ball and on the linear motion of the racquet i was hitting better .

but the thing is that when the balls are heavier or someone is hitting hard. my racquet just wobbles and shakes when it meets the ball. and i sort of lose my feel of the hitting .

thanks for your reply and what do u think about the racquet that i use. does it have a small sweet zone. do u think changing the racquet would help.

do u think the head liquid metal racquet would be good.( because i was thinking of buying it).

bye

nViATi
10-09-2005, 09:10 PM
but the thing is that when the balls are heavier or someone is hitting hard. my racquet just wobbles and shakes when it meets the ball. and i sort of lose my feel of the hitting .
because you are missing the sweetspot. don't blame the racquet, just keep working on your technique

Bungalo Bill
10-10-2005, 07:10 AM
hi,

thanks in advance
bye

Yes, I understand. All the posters here gave you some things to think about. From my perspective and based on this information alone, it could very well be that:

1. You are holding the racket too loosely,

2. The butt cap is not squaring on the heel of your palm for leverage and support.

3. Too small of a grip

4. Hitting the ball with mostly arm - even though it may "feel" right. Strengthen the shoulder, chest, upper arm, and lower arm muscles. Strengthen your hands.

5. Arm is a tad too far away from your body at contact relative to your strength in controlling the racket head.

When it gets damp and the balls absorb the dampness, the balls get heavier. They feel like lead baloons. You need to grip the racket a little tighter to offset this.

The advice of angling the racket slightly at impact is good as well. Many pros do this, many dont, and many do it on certain shots.

Hitting the ball in the sweetspot is the goal for contact. But we often dont hit exactly on the sweetspot in real play. It is impossible to hit the sweetspot of the racket for every shot and we will often (no matter what level) miss the sweetspot. So dont feel pressure there. If you know you are playing good and hitting the ball well then keep going.

So think about the suggestions above and mine and see which one you feel is appropriate.

jeefreak
10-10-2005, 05:22 PM
are you talking about vibrations???