PDA

View Full Version : My backhand grip

NickandTennis
10-09-2005, 11:55 AM
I've been told by my coach that my backhand grip is wrong and eventually it will hurt my elbow badly. I use a western forehand and without switching the grip at all I move it to my backhand; I guess you could call it the western backhand for increased topspin. Will this really hurt my elbow? I need opinions from you guys.

nViATi
10-09-2005, 01:32 PM
I've been told by my coach that my backhand grip is wrong and eventually it will hurt my elbow badly. I use a western forehand and without switching the grip at all I move it to my backhand; I guess you could call it the western backhand for increased topspin. Will this really hurt my elbow? I need opinions from you guys.
is it a one hand backhand?

Mahboob Khan
10-09-2005, 05:06 PM
Are you 1-handed on your backhand side? And at the time of contact your grip is in a western forehand position (the base knuckle of the index finger on bottom panel?) If this is the case then it is wrong. For 1-handed BH, the recommended grip is Eastern BH grip (base knuckle of the index finger on top panel). If you are a double-handed BH then:

-- the right hand should be in a continental grip position or Eastern BH grip position.

-- the left hand should be in a Eastern Forehand grip position.

neomanxl
10-10-2005, 06:41 AM
If you are using a one handed backhand then what u are doing is perfectely ok, it is called an eastern backhand. If you are using two hands it is ok also, you could also use a continental for the two handed backhand

SageOfDeath
10-10-2005, 10:09 AM
If you are using a one handed backhand then what u are doing is perfectely ok, it is called an eastern backhand. If you are using two hands it is ok also, you could also use a continental for the two handed backhand

I agree but that's only if his defination of western is the same of as mine. Sometimes people get grips wrong thinking one thing is western, check the grip guide in the sticky of tips and instruction to refine your defination, doesn't hurt to double check.

NickandTennis
10-13-2005, 05:34 PM
Alright- if you place the racquet on the ground and pick it up- that's my grip for my forehand. This grip was also used as my backhand. Now can some one tell me which bevel my index finger's knuckle is supposed to be for all the grips?

Maledizione
10-13-2005, 05:50 PM
If you place the racquet on the ground and you pick it up from the top of the racquet handle (i.e your palm is facing the top of the racquet handle), that is an eastern grip (more or less)

If you place the racquet on the ground and you pick it up from the side (i.e your palm is facing the side of the racquet handle, that is a western grip.
This is also the eastern backhand grip (hit with the same racquet face as the western forehand)
and is most likely not the grip you are using as no coach will call it a bad grip for a backhand.
It is the classic grip for a one handed backhand.

FiveO
10-13-2005, 05:51 PM
http://www.tennis.com/ME2/Audiences/dirmod.asp?sid=D82249C21B1243AC8414A33790B21AC3&nm=Your+Game&type=Publishing&mod=Publications%3A%3AArticle&mid=8F3A7027421841978F18BE895F87F791&AudID=363722EC1BBE450E80A504E7E77EAF52&tier=4&id=E0E25DFF246E45A4A9D6F005280C53F2

FiveO
10-13-2005, 05:59 PM

Spaniard, Alberto Berasategui the 1994 Roland Garros Finalist, played this way, using one grip to hit fh's and bh's with the same side (face) of the racquet. He's the only player I can think of on the pro level who ever did this.