PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder-friendly serving motion

RKS12
10-09-2005, 05:35 PM
I had arthroscopic shoulder surgery 6 months ago and am experimenting with some new service motions. Are there any serving motions, stances and/or grips that are easier on the shoulder than others? I searched the links including Marius' sites and I couldn't exactly find this topic.

glass
10-09-2005, 05:39 PM
Sjeng Schalken's serve must be right up there with the less taxing motions around.

RKS12
10-09-2005, 05:40 PM
glass, what does he do different? Can you provide any additional info?

glass
10-09-2005, 05:51 PM
No, I was just being cheeky really. His serve is very basic with little knee bend or shoulder rotation, plus I think he jumps into the court with his right foot.

I'm no expert, but from what I hear I probably wouldn't adpot the abbreviated motion similar to Rafter and Roddick. I personally use the pendulum motion, and I've never had shoulder problems.

Marius_Hancu
10-09-2005, 08:03 PM
I had arthroscopic shoulder surgery 6 months ago and am experimenting with some new service motions. Are there any serving motions, stances and/or grips that are easier on the shoulder than others? I searched the links including Marius' sites and I couldn't exactly find this topic.

check some threads on "shoulder" in the Health forum, you'll find pointers there
basically toss more into the court, use less the shoulder, use all the other components