PDA

View Full Version : Anyone get golfer's elbow (or tennis elbow) from serving with Eastern Backhand grip?

monologuist
10-10-2005, 08:16 AM
I've been suffering fro ma nasty flair-up of golfer's elbow recently, and I think I've isolated the source as being a change from continental to eastern backhand grip on my serves. Wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what they did to alleviate it.

The reason I changed was that I was using continental on my kickserves before, but I had to toss the ball to my left and arch my back severely to hit it....I could get enormous kick this way, but I kept getting lower back pains from the arching...also, it telegraphed that I was going for a kickserve from the different toss. Now I'm tossing the ball either straight up or a foot in front of me and to the right and using the backhand grip to get my spin.....ever since switching, I've had pain on the inside edge of my elbow (golfer's elbow), so far not on the outside edge like with tennis elbow.

Could there be something technique wise that I am doing wrong or does this grip just inherently stress that part of your elbow? Id like to be able to stick to this kind of grip, as it is much better disguise, I don't have to change my toss or stance much if at all, and it doesnt' stress my back, but my g.e. is getting worse and worse.

Mahboob Khan
10-11-2005, 07:18 AM
Whenever you change a grip albeit slightly, it activates different group of muscles and you experience some discomfort or pain.

Stick with the backhand grip for the kick serve but do not hold the racket very tightly. Some times holding the racket very tightly also contribute to elbow pain.

Several years ago, one American friend of mine came to me for lessons but said he had tennis elbow and wanted tennis lessons only for one month (he thought that bad technique contributed to his tennis elbow). I evaluated his entire game and found out that he was too tight on his serve. He was holding the racket too tight which caused his muscles to stiffen up. I had him to hold the racket loosely, and removed other flaws from his serve, from his forehand, and backhand. After a month, he asked me to continue with him. I said, why? He said, "because my tennis elbow has disappeared".