PDA

View Full Version : Help with serve

TENNIS2
10-10-2005, 11:41 AM
I find that when I toss the ball further into court the swing motion with the racquet is a lot smoother, but I tend to serve into the net more. When I try to adjust to toss the ball not so much into court but just right above me, I feel like my arm is crunched up with the swing, not smooth at all, and after several serves like that my elbow aches a little. Any suggestions?

Jon Hampton
10-10-2005, 01:06 PM
I always say there's a fine line between a good toss and a bad toss. However, there is no set guideline as to how far back or forward a toss should be; it's whatever works best for you. I think you should keep tossing the ball slightly in front of you into the court, but you're probably snapping your wrist too soon, which is causing the ball to end up in the net. Try waiting to snap your wrist until a little later.

TENNIS2
10-14-2005, 08:10 PM
Some more questions regarding my serve. I know the standard grip is Continential, however I find that when I use Continential grip, I tend to do almost a pure slice serve just because with this grip when I swing the racquet the face is kinda at an angle. Would it be advisable to slightly turn my grip so that it's half way between a Continental and an Eastern grip, or even use an Eastern grip. Thx.

SageOfDeath
10-14-2005, 10:35 PM
it would not be advisable, I would think that once again its your toss that's messing you up. Don't toss too far out to your right or else its easy to slice and how you swing and use your wrist contributes greatly to the difference between a flat slice or a kick.

Marius_Hancu
10-15-2005, 04:54 AM
toss higher but into the court if you're crunched up ... you need to be in full extension at contact ... including the arm ...

rfederer32291
10-15-2005, 07:00 AM
toss higher but into the court if you're crunched up ... you need to be in full extension at contact ... including the arm ...
or else you will not get the needed power.