PDA

View Full Version : My backhand sucks

ExHiLaToR
10-10-2005, 03:47 PM
My forehand is really good, I have excellent power and control but my backhand (one handed) is just horrible, I don't really know what I'm doing wrong, I've tried eastern backhand and SW backhand grips and I always either hit the balls into the net or beyond the baseline, and If I do manage to hit it, it is a high moon ball. I've viewed the James Jensen ultimate backhand DVD, I'm in a good position for the ball but it's so erratic, I really don't know what to do anymore :confused:

Marius_Hancu
10-10-2005, 03:55 PM
check my posting
One Hand BH
in the Sticky at the top of the forum
and read the stuff there,
it might help

DJ Edwards
10-11-2005, 10:07 AM
I hear you on the backhand. I hit for over an hour on Sunday, nothing but backhands with a ball machine, at one point connecting on 18 in a row, but then played a match yesterday and within thirty seconds of warming up my opponent knew I was helpless on that side. My only "solution" was to try to run around them, but I still got wacked by a chump 2-6, 1-6. I'm becoming convinced that the only solution to a bad backhand is to go out to the practice green and work on your putting...

sureshs
10-11-2005, 10:52 AM
My forehand is really good, I have excellent power and control but my backhand (one handed) is just horrible, I don't really know what I'm doing wrong, I've tried eastern backhand and SW backhand grips and I always either hit the balls into the net or beyond the baseline, and If I do manage to hit it, it is a high moon ball. I've viewed the James Jensen ultimate backhand DVD, I'm in a good position for the ball but it's so erratic, I really don't know what to do anymore :confused:

I am also in the "learning" process of BH (for 2 years now). What I have found:

For drives/topspin/block:

Use eastern backhand. Bend at the knees and go low and hit up. Used closed stance and hit thru the ball. Don't keep racquet face too closed as this will put the ball into the net. May be good for pro level topspin, but a safer strategy may be better for you. Do a little ellipse on the take back if you can to put some flicking spin into the ball (for slower balls where you have time). This is the trick used by good players below the pro level, where the flick is deceptive and the ball can be sent to the backhand/forehand of the opponent at the last moment.

For slice:

Use continental. Make a good shoulder turn and slice hard with follow thru.

Low balls: Use slice.
High balls: Use slice, going top to bottom, not horizontal. If more confident, yet cannot take it on the rise, step back and perform a somewhat moonballing topspin.

GrahamIsSuper
10-11-2005, 12:52 PM
Well, man, there are any number of things that could be wrong with it...you could be hitting late, leading too much with your elbow, holding your wrist too firm, not rotating your upper body correctly, not transfering your weight correctly, the list goes on and on.

If you really want help, check BB's topic, it should cover everything, i'd think.

rfederer32291
10-11-2005, 02:53 PM
its the mechanics that are killing you, contact a coach immediately

hifi heretic
10-11-2005, 03:15 PM
A mental suggestion:

..ONCE you've been shown the proper stroke and you've spent time drilling it in, I suggest you begin using it in matches and DO NOT succumb to the temptation to run around it. ..Resolve to hit it each and every opportunity AND don't sweat it when you miss them. ..Just keep at it even if you become easy fodder for every player below you on the club ladder. Just resign yourself to the fact that you're in a rebuilding phase and you're likely to lose quite a bit in the process. As time goes by, your anxiety about hitting a backhand will diminish and you'll begin to build consistency. This is the only way! Eventually, you'll become a far better player than you would while clinging to a "runaround the backhand" strategy - something that will make you an easy target for any 4.0+ player out there.

One added comment: When you play someone who prays upon your weaker backhand, don't get anxious; instead, try to see it as an opportunity to improve that shot. If an opponent feeds you enough shots to your backhand, you'll eventually begin to groove the shot. ..If you're athletic enough to learn the serve, the forehand, and the volley, there is nothing - other than the muscle b/w the ears - that should prevent you from eventually learning to hit a backhand.

ExHiLaToR
10-11-2005, 04:29 PM
I didn't have a chance to play today since it was raining, and it will rain tomorrow also, I'll try to get a video of myself playing Thursday or Friday.

rfederer32291
10-11-2005, 05:21 PM
the weather around the east coast is gonna be miserable for another couple of days

battousai555
10-11-2005, 05:38 PM
Join my club, NBHA (No Back Hand Association).

Bungalo Bill
10-11-2005, 06:13 PM

Sometimes hitting into the net comes from making contact with the ball before your swing starts to go up to create topspin.

Hitting long can come these two things as well:

1. Curling up your wrist before contact and altering the racket face.

2. Making contact too far in front or lunging for the ball while opening the racket face.

Both of the things (hitting into the net and hitting long) can come from an inconsistent contact point, not bending your knees, not moving to get into position, etc.

jeebeesus
10-11-2005, 07:30 PM
Try this,
make sure u are holding the eastern backhand grip,that means base knuckle on bevel 1

then stand on the T and hit balls to a target placed on a spot between the singles sideline and the centre line on the opposite side deuce court for righties. that is to shape your inside out swing path.

now also place a squeezie at the net between you and the target.let the squeezie lean on the net .this is to remind you to lift.

now get someone or a ball machine to feed you some balls.keep hitting balls this way on an inside out basis and lift over the squeezie. do so till you get the swing path and lift combination right.

once you are comfortable hitting this way, you can hit anywhere you like.

armand
10-11-2005, 08:07 PM
Step#1: make sure you turn your back towards the court
Step#2: try to keep your hand above the racquet head like this dude:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/825000/images/_825198_sampras_backhand150.jpg