PDA

View Full Version : What are grass courts made out of?

KennyNguyen
10-10-2005, 07:32 PM
What are grass courts made out of? (i.e. type of soil, grass) Is it possible to make one yourself if you have some space? Sorry, I've never seen a grass court before except on television.

tennisboy87
10-10-2005, 07:33 PM
I think the ones at Wimbledon are made using rye grass, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

liionel
10-10-2005, 07:37 PM
grass? no? i think so. heh. syn. grass is my bet.

theace21
10-10-2005, 08:34 PM
I did a search just for the heck of it. It says the most common is the new variety of rye grass, but other are still used. Want to build a grass court. Check it out... Add the usual w w w and it should work...

totaltennis.net/UploadedFiles/Content/6/pdf/a3.pdf

TENNIS2
10-10-2005, 08:40 PM
This is from Wimbledon official website:

Court Maintenance
Court grass composed of 100% rye grass (chosen for its durability).
1 tonne of grass seed is used each year.
Approximately million gallons of water are used on the grass courts each year.
Maximum of 3,000 gallons of water used during the Fortnight - weather permitting.
All courts re-lined, rolled and mown daily during Championships.
Court wear, surface hardness and ball rebound are all measured daily. In general, the men
are tougher on the courts than the ladies.
The Championships playing height of grass is 8mm.
No! Paint is not used to colour the Centre Court green towards the end of the event.
Paint is not used to mark the lines on the court. A transfer wheel marker is used to apply a
white compound (500 gallons used yearly) containing china clay to make it durable.
All the lines are 50mm wide, except the baselines, which are 100mm.
The amount a ball bounces is largely determined by the soil, not the grass. The soil must
be hard and dry to allow 13 days of play without damage to the court sub-surface.
To achieve the required surface of even consistency and hardness, the courts are rolled
and covered to keep them dry and firm. Regular measurements are taken to monitor this.
If the court is too soft, when the players run, jump and slide, the pimples on their shoes
will damage the surface and increase the chance of an irregular bounce.

austro
10-11-2005, 09:19 AM
It is A LOT of hassle to keep a grass court in good shape. Our club has 4 and they only operate between March and October. Why do this to yourself? Personally, I like Astro Turf a lot, which is a sort of synthetic grass and can be played on at all times, even during rain (no puddles).