PDA

View Full Version : Faster Reflexes

SageOfDeath
10-10-2005, 10:05 PM
I work on my technqiue routinely adjusting it refining it, working on preperation which I think helps more than anything when handling pace but I was wondering if there are drills that I can do for better hand eye coordination. Is playing tennis enough? I do footwork drills on my own like the shuttle run and suicides but sometimes even when I'm prepared and I'm there on time I don't hit the ball on the sweetspot, it could be a lack of focus but I just want to do anything I can to help my game.

papa
10-11-2005, 05:01 AM
I think one of the best ways is to play a lot of mini-tennis or hit close to the wall. Just remember not to think too much - thats what seems to get to many players.

Marius_Hancu
10-11-2005, 05:33 AM
check the Footwork section in my signature

Thanatos
10-11-2005, 07:10 AM
when I'm prepared and I'm there on time I don't hit the ball on the sweetspot, it could be a lack of focus but I just want to do anything I can to help my game.

SageOfDeath, I'm hearing that you get to the ball on time (most of the time), but can't seem to make clean contact with the ball.

What you need to do is slow down the swing to make clean contact with the ball. Once to get to the ball early, slow down your racket head speed and try to see the ball hit your sweetspot. Physical this is not possible, but it helps train your eyes to focus on the ball till impact and keeps you head steady.
Don't worry about wacking the ball. Train yourself to have a smooth and clean swing path.

During a match or practice session, instead of just picking up the balls between points and hitting it back to your partner. Drop the ball inplace and let it bouce once and slowly swing your FH/BH. Focusing on the fundamental, and say to yourself "clean contact".

Another drill, that helps me a lot is to "focus on the ball trajectory".
Don't just watch the ball, but try to see how the ball is spinning in the air and where it will land after it has left your opponnent's racket. This takes a lot of concentration.

Marius_Hancu
10-11-2005, 07:15 AM
also, check:

Mis-hit reduction?
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=54322

as well as my posting
Watching the ball
in the Sticky at the top of this forum

Geezer Guy
10-11-2005, 07:59 AM
I bought a ball with uneven sides - some call it a reflex ball I think - so that you never know which way it'll bounce. I toss it against my basement wall and simulate hitting a volley on the bounce (in the air), however I simply catch the ball barehanded and then toss it again. I stand about 7 feet from the wall, and split-step just as the ball hits the wall. This has REALLY helped my reflex volleys! Since starting to do this on a fairly regular basis, I've really surprised myself with some of my volley gets.

JeffH1
10-11-2005, 08:47 AM
How's your vision? Seeing the ball early is important in being prepared. Depth perception is just as important. My buddy was constantly being jammed on his back hands. It turned out that his left eye was weak in detecting depth. He thought the ball was further away than it actually was

Marius_Hancu
10-11-2005, 09:03 AM
How's your vision? Seeing the ball early is important in being prepared. Depth perception is just as important. My buddy was constantly being jammed on his back hands. It turned out that his left eye was weak in detecting depth. He thought the ball was further away than it actually was

Good point.

Check this extract from Serious Tennis (freely available on the Web):

Playing With Tennis SMARTS—Seeing*
http://www.humankinetics.com/products/showexcerpt.cfm?excerpt_id=3344
which indicates how one can find his dominant eye, etc.

(included in my
Watching the ball
section of the Sticky)