PDA

View Full Version : Freedom to fly

BubbleSpear
10-10-2005, 09:42 PM
I have a question. I was playing a casual game with some of my friends. One, last time I played, did not serve well in power or accuracy. So while he was throwing his ball up and down, deciding on a good throw, I scrambled up to the net, just in time to volley a low winner. Was that legal? Basically, I'm asking if the receiver can move around at any time during the serve.

nViATi
10-10-2005, 09:44 PM
I have a question. I was playing a casual game with some of my friends. One, last time I played, did not serve well in power or accuracy. So while he was throwing his ball up and down, deciding on a good throw, I scrambled up to the net, just in time to volley a low winner. Was that legal? Basically, I'm asking if the receiver can move around at any time during the serve.
you can move around but you can't do it intentionally to distract them and you can't volley back a serve

BubbleSpear
10-10-2005, 09:46 PM
I can't volley a serve? I didn't know that. :( Ah well.

papa
10-11-2005, 03:59 AM
Ball has to hit the court prior to you hitting it - can't take it out of the air. You can stand anywhere you want and you can move around also but as noted above, you cannot distract the server - moving around is generally not considered a distraction.

x Southpaw x
10-11-2005, 05:50 AM
You can't volley a serve but you can scramble forward and make a half-volley winner. Paradox. You'll learn what I mean in due time.

Rickson
10-11-2005, 06:22 AM
You're definitely not allowed to volley a serve. The ball must be allowed to bounce on the serve, period. By the way, your buddy has a seriously weak serve.

BubbleSpear
10-11-2005, 05:12 PM
Haha, yeah. It was a casual game between friends. I plan to try out for my high school tennis team and he's like "Yeah...maybe." Well, thanks for clarifying the point.

rfederer32291
10-11-2005, 05:17 PM
I can't volley a serve? I didn't know that. :( Ah well.
that would be cool if everyone could tho

SageOfDeath
10-11-2005, 05:36 PM
that would be cool if everyone could tho

I wouldn't try volley a serve even it was legal....... the pain

battousai555
10-11-2005, 05:44 PM
I wouldn't try volley a serve even it was legal....... the pain
Imagine someone trying that in a pro match.