PDA

View Full Version : Funny USA league tennis stories

drop shot
05-21-2004, 08:31 PM
A few years ago my friend was playing a USTA state finals doubles match at the 4.0 level and during a point his vibration dampener came out and landed on his opponents side of the net. No one on the court noticed it until after the point was over. My friend started looking for it and the oppenents found it on their side of the court. They then claimed that the point had to be played over (since they lost it) becasue of a hinderance. What are some of your funny stories?

aahala
05-23-2004, 08:36 AM
This was in a club's double league, not USTA, indoors and we don't sitdown or change sides.

Well into the match, possibly the second set, an opponent hits this weak floating shot to the extreme short left hand corner. I start racing to retrieve the ball and much to my surprise, I notice for the first time "stuff" was in the alley right up next to the net on our side, two players had laid their bags there.

I realized it was part of the court since it was there before the point started. Hell, it had been there for an hour and none of us had noticed. A weird bounce I was able to dink back and the opponent missed the reply because of it. It was a lot funnier to me than the rest, because I noticed the problem while trying to make the return.