PDA

View Full Version : Beating a backboard player

DJ Edwards
10-11-2005, 10:44 AM
:x
I'm rated at USTA 4.0, first serve around 100mph, pretty good forehand, backhand improving, played a couple of Big Ten players on full tennis scholarships this summer and lost 3 and 4, so I can hold my own against hard hitters
BUT THESE BACKBOARD, MAKE NO ERRORS, KEEP GETTING THE BALL IN PLAY, LOB THE GUY WHEN HE ATTACKS THE NET, TAKE ALL THE PACE OFF THE BALL OTHERWISE TYPES ARE MURDERING ME!!! I swear I think I could get more games off Cedric Pioline than off a consistent octogenarian these days.
SOS! I NEED HELP (unless you're one of these guys, then feel free to laugh at me and mock my plight)

gscone
10-11-2005, 10:49 AM
I'm rated at USTA 4.0, first serve around 100mph, pretty good forehand, backhand improving, played a couple of Big Ten players on full tennis scholarships this summer and lost 3 and 4, so I can hold my own against hard hitters
BUT THESE BACKBOARD, MAKE NO ERRORS, KEEP GETTING THE BALL IN PLAY, LOB THE GUY WHEN HE ATTACKS THE NET, TAKE ALL THE PACE OFF THE BALL OTHERWISE TYPES ARE MURDERING ME!!! I swear I think I could get more games off Cedric Pioline than off a consistent octogenarian these days.
SOS! I NEED HELP (unless you're one of these guys, then feel free to laugh at me and mock my plight)

Search for "pushers" on this forum and you'll find a wealth of Information on them. Pushers are by far the worst of any player out there.

Thanatos
10-11-2005, 10:58 AM

I know exactly what you are talking about. They have speed to get to the ball. They have ok strokes, but nothing spectacular. The key is they keep the ball in play and forces you to create unforced errors.

My reccommendation is to:
1. Build-up your overall level of consistency and ball placement (angle). This will help to decrease the # of unforced errors on your part and force your opponnent to make the errors.

2. Since these guys are usually "speedy gonzales" you need to wrong foot them as much as possible. These players have a tendency to split-step very quickly once they sense that you are going to hit in a particular direction.

kevhen
10-11-2005, 11:04 AM
Yep that is my challenge right now, a kid who is extremely fast who doesn't hit hard but gets everything back and can go on the attack if you hit him a short ball. It's frustrating because he hits at a 4.0 pace but has 5.0 footspeed and 4.5 consistency. I think I make errors because I am still not sure how to play him except to go ahead and use my A game of hitting hard backhands to his backhand and then mixing it up and hitting some slow loopy balls but keeping them deep. He handles my big serve well too so I mostly just back off and get them in. It's tough playing those backboards with no obvious weaknesses to exploit. He does like pace but when I take it away from him he eventually attacks my slow short balls.

Marius_Hancu
10-11-2005, 12:26 PM
read my posting
Playing pushers
in the Sticky at the top of forum

MasterOfDisaster
10-11-2005, 12:32 PM
try a drop shot then a pass

JeffH1
10-11-2005, 12:33 PM
I play a couple of fast pushers. I was contantly losing to them trying to hit winners (with pace) off their crapy paddy cake returns. My strategy now is to keep them way back with heavy top spin to the base line, sometimes with decent pace. When they bunt the ball back short I slow my pace down and hit either heavy top spin angled short (inside the service court) or volley with pace angled short. This has been working for me for sometime now and it's quite refreshing not to see their sh#t eating grins anymore.

ktncnttl
10-11-2005, 12:57 PM
The only way to beat a pusher is to be able to hit winners off short balls consistently. If you can't do that better switch your grip to continental and start slicing every ball--outpush the pusher.

rfederer32291
10-11-2005, 02:52 PM
if you hit nasty angles you should have a chance

akj27
10-11-2005, 03:52 PM
yeah, but who the hell hits nasty angles? only person i can think of is federer

zAllianceBmx
10-11-2005, 03:57 PM
i think a lot of you are missing the point and not interpretting what he said. now the way i see it, i doubt any tennis players who have full ride scholarships would be considered a pusher. sure he did mention "backboard" player. but this is probably most refering to aggressive baseliners who dont make mistakes. just because you dont make mistakes does make you a pusher.

so the point being dj, is that you need to improve your game if you want to beat these "aggressive baseliners". there are not too many ways around that.

randomname
10-11-2005, 04:01 PM
no... thats not what he said at all... he said that he can hold his own against aggresive baseliners but cant do anything against pushers. did you even read the post?

zAllianceBmx
10-11-2005, 04:34 PM
show me where it says he can hold his own against "aggressive baseliners." all i see is "hard hitters." you dont have to hit hard to be an aggressive baseliner. and he did not mention anything about pushers. just because you can get every ball back without making a mistake makes you an automatic pusher? well well, then i might as well say that federer is a pusher by your means.

suburbianrapper
10-11-2005, 04:50 PM
if you can compete with big ten players, i'd think you'd be more than a 4.0

rfederer32291
10-11-2005, 05:19 PM
possibly dropshotting and then lobbing, one of my favorite plays

theace21
10-11-2005, 06:39 PM
if you can compete with big ten players, i'd think you'd be more than a 4.0
Or the Big Ten has some weak programs...

randomname
10-11-2005, 08:01 PM
I took the part where he said "I can hold my own against hard hitters" (referring to the big 10 college players) to mean that he can hold his own against big hitters, and generally when a person uses the word "but", it means "in contrast to" so he wouldnt be referring to the big hitters in his actual request. also, the things he says he has trouble playing against (no errors, keep getting hte ball in play, take all pace of the ball) in no way describe a collegiate level big hitter. In fact, they describe a backbord/pusher which he also says he has problems playing against in the title.

edit: sry, didnt realise you think theres a difference between hard hitter and agressive baseliner, but even without that, he did say he has problems playing against people who take pace off the ball, which im fairly certain is the exact opposite of a hard hitter

altawolfe
10-13-2005, 04:34 PM
hit a high bouncing shot to his backhand and take the net or

hit a low angled dropper to his backhand . . . bring him to net and pass him or

learn to finish from the baseline.

....>>>trouble against pushers usually means trouble finishing.

which is to say, if you're a power player, than you should be able to overpower a pusher.

we have some players at our club who are not pushers per say. They will take the offensive on a short ball. however, when they play an inconsistent power hitter, they won't stupidly try to match power because they don't have to. they know that they can play defense until the big hitter overhits. inconsistent power hitters are easy to beat with defense. nobody is going to get in a pace war with a wild hitter. they're merely going to give you enough rope to hang yourself. I love playing people who go on the defensive because it forces me to finish. I hate the fact that I take chances and they don't -- but my game gets better when I play them because it has to.

point is: if you're tagging your power shots correctly, ain't no pusher gonna touch you.

WhycantIvolley
10-13-2005, 05:25 PM
A lot of those type of pusher players are helped when you become frustrated and send your game to the dogs. Easy to say. I'm guilty of immitating the pusher which if you happen to win can be satisfying. Problem is you find you've lost your timing when you want to hit hard again.

BTW I read this question the same way you did randomname. He's saying he can beat players hitting hardball as opposed to lower ranked pushers he loses to.

Happyneige
10-14-2005, 01:47 PM
Search for "pushers" on this forum and you'll find a wealth of Information on them. Pushers are by far the worst of any player out there.

As much as I despise the pushers, I beg to differ that they are 'by far the worst of any player'. They do have consistency and speed. And if they beat you, let's face it, they are the better player of the match. Anyways, back to the original post of how to handle them, I'd say use variety. Hit with heavy topspin then throw in some deep, low slice to get them wrong-footed.
:mrgreen: