PDA

View Full Version : is the Slazenger pro X1 going away??

basil J
10-11-2005, 05:51 PM
I noticed today that all but one slax x1 were sold out without a future available date. Is TW going to continue to carry this model or is it discontinued?

need2paint
10-11-2005, 09:52 PM
TW said in a different thread that the X1 is discontinued.

BreakPoint
10-11-2005, 11:51 PM
Another good one bites the dust! :( Could this be the end of Slazenger as we know it?

uk_skippy
10-12-2005, 03:43 AM
Another good one bites the dust! :( Could this be the end of Slazenger as we know it?

I wont say I told you so, but......

Marius_Hancu
10-12-2005, 05:46 AM

too bad, I still have some very nice shirts made by them.

basil J
10-12-2005, 07:28 AM
Dunlop owns Slazenger now, I wonder if the X1 pro will be re-released as a Dunlop. It really is already pretty close to a headlight open string pattern version of the 200GHM already. Even though this is not my main stick anymore, I hate to see it go away.

uk_skippy
10-12-2005, 08:01 AM
Dunlop owns Slazenger now, I wonder if the X1 pro will be re-released as a Dunlop. It really is already pretty close to a headlight open string pattern version of the 200GHM already. Even though this is not my main stick anymore, I hate to see it go away.

Dunlop has owned Slazenger for a long time. The company was known as Dunlop Slazenger. This company was then bought by a UK company called SportsWorld which is basically a pile it high sell it cheap retailer. The M-fill 200 & 300's are cheaper here than in the US which is strange for racquets. Usually it the other way around. I can't really see any high end Slaz rqts for sometime, and I even suspect that the Mfil's will be the last of the decent players rqts coming from Dunlop.

Regards

Paul

basil J
10-12-2005, 09:20 AM
That would be a shame. The 200GMW is a classic players stick, and the last really solid players stick that Dunlop has made IMO. The mfil series is fair at best. Dunlop at one time was one of the best out there. Oh well, progress???

thenewb
10-12-2005, 09:34 AM
yea... it's a shame the X1 is discontinued. I can only hope that Dunlop Slazenger decide to use the Slazenger name for "high end" racquets later on, much like car companies with two brands.
I have two X1, but they are of different generations. Now, if only there was a large shipment of replacement grommets as a final send off to this racquet. =\

uk_skippy
10-12-2005, 11:55 AM
yea... it's a shame the X1 is discontinued. I can only hope that Dunlop Slazenger decide to use the Slazenger name for "high end" racquets later on, much like car companies with two brands.
I have two X1, but they are of different generations. Now, if only there was a large shipment of replacement grommets as a final send off to this racquet. =\

To be honest Dunlop as always been more of the premier brand than Slaz. Slaz was seen as a cheaper alternative and generally most new technology went into the Dunlops. Did you know that there was a Slaz which was made the same as the original 200g's?

Slaz cheap end and jnr rqts sell well here in the UK because of Henman. Once he's gone I suspect that Slaz will decline and maybe disappear. They no longer supply the Aus open with balls. The previously mentioned Company of SportsWorld also own Donnay and they now produce cheap graphite rqts, no quality rqts. They also sell cheap Donnay brand T's. They're really cr@p!! This explains why Greg R went from 'using' Donnay to 'using' Dunlop, and also why currently the top 2 Brits use products from the same parent company. Hopefully in years to come Andy Murray will not follow the same line.

Regards

Paul

TW Staff
10-12-2005, 02:40 PM
The Pro X1 is no longer available. If this changes, we'll post in the Racquets forum. Don/Tennis Warehouse