K!ck5w3rvE
05-22-2004, 01:06 AM
Do you use them?

Nas Eclipse
05-22-2004, 08:33 AM
yep a rubber band

PHSTennis
05-22-2004, 08:58 AM
Depends if my strings are alive or dead... I use it on my hammers thoughout the life of them, but on the triad... just when the strings are new... sometimes I use a rubberband... they all are diffrent levels of dapening for me ;)

chadw01
05-22-2004, 10:17 AM
How do you tie a rubber band to the strings for just the right dampening effect?

I'm not convinced that using a rubber band makes much of a difference other than trying to make your racquet look like Agassi's.. does he still even use an elastic???

perfmode
05-22-2004, 10:21 AM
How do you tie a rubber band to the strings for just the right dampening effect?

I'm not convinced that using a rubber band makes much of a difference other than trying to make your racquet look like Agassi's.. does he still even use an elastic???

Rubberbands work really well if tied properly.

drakulie
05-22-2004, 10:22 AM
Rubberband. They don't fall off, feel great, and I get them free.

LSee19
05-22-2004, 03:18 PM
I use a cable grommet (round black rubber doughnuts). 4 for a buck at my local hardware store.

ProStaffTour90
05-22-2004, 04:37 PM

Here you go mate, a tutorial on how to tie it for best effect!

http://www.************.com/dynamic/home/learn/article.cfm?ID=28&NAME=Tie%20Rubber%20Band%20Knot& PAGE=Rookies%20%26%20Pros&DIRECTORY=rookies&AUTHOR =Andre%20Agassi%20and%20Andy%20Roddick

chadw01
05-24-2004, 07:52 AM
Man those pictures are small.. hard to follow the directions. I guess if it works for you, then more power to ya.

Me, I'll do without.

PrestigeClassic
05-24-2004, 05:15 PM
The sweetspot is my vibration damper.

AndyC
05-24-2004, 05:30 PM
I use them though I'm not sure whether I'd be able to tell the difference with/without.

cheezecake
05-25-2004, 08:17 PM
I definetely use a dampener. I use a cable grommet. I can't stand all that vibration without the dampener.

Kirko
05-26-2004, 11:47 PM
Whether a dampner really takes vibration out of frame I don't know . I do know that with one all my shots "feel" solid & that breeds confidence which leads to success.

TennsDog
05-28-2004, 03:45 PM
I use the Pete Sampras "O" dampeners. Every once in a while I will hear one of my teammates hitting and I hear that tell-tale "PING!" that says they don't have a dampener. I'm like, "Man, you should get a vibration dampener." I don't like the sound or feel w/o them. Tryed rubber bands, didn't like them.

montanatennisacademy.com
06-03-2004, 11:02 AM
The best virbration dampeners to user is a rubber band. It doesn't cost anything but it is one of best virbration there is. it easy to use and it work the best.

Check out http://www.montanatennisacademy.com we are current looking for new member so signup in the messages forum.

esquimaux
06-03-2004, 11:57 PM
Sometimes I smack the ball where the dampener is and produce that god awful flat feel :D

gmlasam
06-04-2004, 05:42 AM
Nah I no longer use them. I used rubberbands for years, and I got tired tieing them to my racquet.

coach
06-11-2004, 10:06 AM
From what I have read, it's mostly a noise thing, the frame weight and other factors actually dissipate the shock. But I use them for the sound and at times if I need more "pop" that day, I will go to a different, smaller dampener, like a quarter sized "peace sign", and if I need to take some of power off my strings, will use the longer "worm" style that contacts more strings. Works for me.

Verbal_Kint
06-11-2004, 10:13 AM
I can't play Luxilon ACE without a damper. Most other strings work fine though.

Marnix

mileslong
06-13-2004, 12:03 AM
i sweat by the gamma worm. kim clijsters uses one. it takes all that nasty vibration and ping sound out of your strings. i wont play with anything else.

how in the hell can you play without one of any kind? i can hear the ping and feel the pain in my elboy a mile away...

coach
06-15-2004, 01:20 PM
I just realized why we didn't use them 30 years ago when I was growing up and learning to play.... wooden racquets, THE ULTIMATE DAMPENER! I hit with one about 2 years ago and you can't believe the flex in the throat, quite a contrast from todays power (and stiff) racquets.

louisc
07-13-2004, 08:46 AM
The Pacific Vibra-Damper is pretty good. They come in packs of 2, and various colours. They look a bit like the Sampras "O", but chunkier, and stays more snugs in the strings.

jings
07-13-2004, 07:35 PM
Bab's High Damp for me, with some Wilson W's still lying about the place. I have some unique rattling Sampras O's if anybody wants them!

Virgilio
07-31-2004, 02:46 AM
I personally threw away all dampeners and switched to rubber bands, and I think they are by far the better thing:

1) They are cheap;

2) Easy to put;

3) Stay on and don't fly away if you hit bad;

4) Can put them in several places to control vibration/softness.

I personally use 2 of them, one near the head and one near the base of the racquet. Vibration I would say 0. I have put them 1 year ago and they are still there and never moved. Actually need to replace them like once a year.

jayserinos99
07-31-2004, 08:25 AM
don't need 'em, don't want 'em. i just don't like hitting with a board.

speedofpain88
07-31-2004, 11:42 PM
Simple physics dictates that they can't have much of an impact: a 2gram dampener on a 300+ gram racket hitting a 60gram ball. Still I used to have the Sampras O dampeners on my rackets for a couple of months. Never really saw the difference.

Virgilio
08-01-2004, 04:11 PM
Simple physics dictates that they can't have much of an impact: a 2gram dampener on a 300+ gram racket hitting a 60gram ball. Still I used to have the Sampras O dampeners on my rackets for a couple of months. Never really saw the difference.

Not to be mean, but this is pointless. Physics studies the effects, not the pure mass/weight. So 2 grams on 300 grams on 60 grams says nothing. That's the vibration deriving on impatcing masses that counts...and physics says anything you put on moderating this vibration slows the vibration itself...

speedofpain88
08-01-2004, 04:57 PM
I meant to say that dampeners have no effect on frame shock or vibration. The 300g racket hitting the 60g ball was the about frame shock/vibration not the string vibration. String dampers can reduce string vibration, but they don't have an effect on many rackets and even when they do it is extremly minimal because of physics.

Now as far as the string vibration very little vibration goes down the string toward the throat area where the dampener is. This happens because the vibration radiates out at all angles into the frame (physics), then down the frame into the handle, and then into your arm if there's enough of it. The fact that they change the sound of the racket doesn't mean a reduction in harmful vibration. Vibration absorbers do not minimize shock; they just change the sensation and sound of the post impact vibration. Dampeners also deaden the feel of the racket, and this is not good because the feedback you get from your racket is very important.

I was only justifying why I don't use them and why I feel they don't help me. To me the effects of dampeners are mostly psychological. I'm not arguing that they might not help some people.

sorkang724
08-02-2004, 12:14 AM
i have to use it..because i hate the "PING" sound w/o the dampener....i use gamma shockbuster by the way

hihihi8402
08-02-2004, 01:08 PM
I don't use one because I like the extra feel and the sound lets me know if I am hitting the sweet spot. A vibration dampaner doesn't change the amount of vibration that much it mainly seems to get rid of the ping sound many people find annoying.

--Mike

Virgilio
08-02-2004, 03:34 PM
I meant to say that dampeners have no effect on frame shock or vibration. The 300g racket hitting the 60g ball was the about frame shock/vibration not the string vibration. String dampers can reduce string vibration, but they don't have an effect on many rackets and even when they do it is extremly minimal because of physics.

Now as far as the string vibration very little vibration goes down the string toward the throat area where the dampener is. This happens because the vibration radiates out at all angles into the frame (physics), then down the frame into the handle, and then into your arm if there's enough of it. The fact that they change the sound of the racket doesn't mean a reduction in harmful vibration. Vibration absorbers do not minimize shock; they just change the sensation and sound of the post impact vibration. Dampeners also deaden the feel of the racket, and this is not good because the feedback you get from your racket is very important.

I was only justifying why I don't use them and why I feel they don't help me. To me the effects of dampeners are mostly psychological. I'm not arguing that they might not help some people.

That's why I use 2 "dampeners" (rubberband) located 1 at the throat and 1 at the head of the racquet...the result is amazing. Never had elbow pains in my life and wrist problems.

Don't agree at all on this: "The fact that they change the sound of the racket doesn't mean a reduction in harmful vibration. Vibration absorbers do not minimize shock; they just change the sensation and sound of the post impact vibration". I don't think (and we could prove it phisically) that a dampener only changes sound and sensation...but we have different point of view here so won't help going deep onto this I guess. Cheers.

Evolution
08-03-2004, 01:15 AM
Placing a dampener (or rubberband or whatsoever) in places other than the usual location at the throat is basically 'illegal' according to the USTA rulebook. If the tournament officials are professional enough, they wouldn't let you play with a racquet that has a dampener at the top/head of the strings. However, place 2 damperner at the throat is okay.

But I suppose it doesn't matter if you're just playing for fun.

nazer13
08-06-2004, 11:54 AM
its been proven that shock dampeners dont take any vibration out of the racket. I personally feel that the racket is a little less twangy with out one.

SirGus
08-23-2004, 04:32 PM
Hello all from Greece!

A new member here and I am really glad that I am here!

My 1st question is about the vibration dampeners.

Let me be clear (I always respect the TWs replies but I would like to hear yours as well)

1)Do the dampeners that weave in and out of the strings offer more damp than the dampeners that cover only 2 strings?

2)Do the dampeners that have hooks on the side are less durable than the ones that dont (but both weaving in and out of the strings)

3)which ones do you suggest to damp more and be really durable? (too far to order too often!!!!)

Thanks all!
;)

Tennis Guy
08-23-2004, 05:39 PM
Hello all from Greece!

Let me be clear (I always respect the TWs replies but I would like to hear yours as well)

1)Do the dampeners that weave in and out of the strings offer more damp than the dampeners that cover only 2 strings?

2)Do the dampeners that have hooks on the side are less durable than the ones that dont (but both weaving in and out of the strings)

3)which ones do you suggest to damp more and be really durable? (too far to order too often!!!!)

Thanks all!
;)
1) There is no difference.

2) I've never seen a dampener break.

3) A rubberband is the best. (Even though they don't make a difference.)

SirGus
08-23-2004, 05:46 PM
Hello all from Greece!

Thanks all!
;)
1) There is no difference.

2) I've never seen a dampener break.

3) A rubberband is the best. (Even though they don't make a difference.)

Thanks!
1.I thought that it should have a difference as it gets in touch with more strings

2)Me 2, but some people says that on the TW feedbacks

3)Regarding the dampeners anyone that somebody suggests?

leog
08-23-2004, 06:44 PM
you guys know all they do is affect the sound, right? If they actually absorbed the real shock from hitting they'd heat up...

sandro
08-25-2004, 08:04 AM
Used one until re-started using my Prestige. Now I think that if I don't like the racquet without a vibdamp, then the racquet is not ok for me.

chipsdw
09-06-2004, 08:50 AM
I use a Head Smartsorb Vibration Dampener (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/feedback.html?pcode=HSZVIB) and it works very well for me. [/url]

serveboy
09-06-2004, 09:33 PM
I prefer the feel without the dampener but I have to use one because I hate the ping sound.

I use Wilson Ws. I'm gonna try the Sampras Os because I heard they don't absorb as much.

I want all feel and no ping. :P

topspin
09-07-2004, 12:16 PM
The Sampras 0 is the best dampener I've tried so far. I recommend u tie it with a tie wrap around a main or the bottom cross to avoid losing it.

The 0's are not all the same. The purple Luxilon one has a diffrent feel as do the hardware store cable grommets.

tennisboy87
10-30-2005, 12:28 PM
No, I've never liked using a vibration dampener. I feel like using one takes away all of the feel on my shots, and I've just gotten used to the ping sound, so it doesn't bother me at all.

westside
10-30-2005, 05:07 PM
i use a Volkl VibraStop Vibe Dampener. It works really well and looks good with a prince shark.

doriancito
10-30-2005, 05:26 PM
first i try for a while the original vib. dampener that the brand provides if i like it i stay with it if not i tie the best vib. damp ever made!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 the rubber band.....

tennisboy87
10-31-2005, 10:50 AM
I am going to try and use a rubberband the next few times I hit as one of my teammates swears by them. I'll give them a shot, but I'm making no promises lol.

tennisboy87
11-05-2005, 02:06 PM
I've used the rubber band the last few days, and I just can't get used to it. I just plain don't like dampeners lol. So, no dampener for me, not even a rubber band.

Radical97
11-05-2005, 02:34 PM
Rubber band for me.

Dan007
11-05-2005, 05:34 PM
I've been using rubberbands over a year now and they work better than any dampeners out there.

jaskey
11-05-2005, 09:06 PM
i think it has to do with the racquet as much as the person when it comes to dampeners. i can't play Head TiS2 without at least two dampeners, but with my Yonex R-27 i play it without any dampeners fine. so i think there is a racqet factor to think of when it comes to the dampeners

praetorian909
11-08-2005, 11:25 PM
Placing a dampener (or rubberband or whatsoever) in places other than the usual location at the throat is basically 'illegal' according to the USTA rulebook. If the tournament officials are professional enough, they wouldn't let you play with a racquet that has a dampener at the top/head of the strings. However, place 2 damperner at the throat is okay.

But I suppose it doesn't matter if you're just playing for fun.

Actually, I think he is allowed to have the dampener at the top of the racquet. The USTA rules state that vibration damping devices "may only be placed outside the pattern of the crossed strings." So the top row should be fine.

Swan Song
11-12-2005, 12:03 AM
Actually, I think he is allowed to have the dampener at the top of the racquet. The USTA rules state that vibration damping devices "may only be placed outside the pattern of the crossed strings." So the top row should be fine.

No it is not all right.

equinox
11-12-2005, 07:10 AM
It's fine. At the top. Must be outside cross pattern.

I used those old yellow and black squishy asborber dampeners. I loved squishing it between my fingers.

Then i used cable grommets. It kept poping out, causing me to look like a crazy person searching for it between points. :)

I now use rubberbands. Cheap and easy to install.

mitch222
04-04-2007, 04:31 PM
Here you go mate, a tutorial on how to tie it for best effect!

http://www.************.com/dynamic/home/learn/article.cfm?ID=28&NAME=Tie%20Rubber%20Band%20Knot& PAGE=Rookies%20%26%20Pros&DIRECTORY=rookies&AUTHOR =Andre%20Agassi%20and%20Andy%20Roddick

The site doesn't work what is supposed to be in the URL instead of the stars (*********)

whoster69
04-06-2007, 08:06 AM
I'm surprised no one has done a study on the effectiveness of dampeners...

idono1301
04-08-2007, 07:57 PM
i use the prince silencer, or a rubber band, or th O..

just whichever one i feel like using!