PDA

View Full Version : Serving an effective 'heavyball'?

Galactus
10-12-2005, 01:44 AM
I've read a couple of threads on here about Pete Sampras and the 'heavyball' serve (speed and rpm), but I don't know what makes (or how I can serve) an effective 'heavy' ball (at my standard of 3.5/4.0, that is).
After spending months on my service action, I'm pretty confident with it now in terms of going for the big serve, but I can't put any topspin on it (that is, I don't use a classical topspin-serve action).
Nearly all of my serves are 1st serves (for both - I find it impossible to compromise on the 2nd serve - hence I still get more double-faults than usual) and I pretty much use the slicing motion/action every time to achieve balls that go 'in'. I rarely go for the 'flat-bomb'...
I'm 6'3, 200lb and tend to get quite a bit of 'kick' off certain serves - is this due to the extreme slice I put on, my height..or both?

Am I using the correct method(s) to serve a 'heavy' ball?

Marius_Hancu
10-12-2005, 02:12 AM
you should be able to put topspin, kick and slice
they are not the same

check my postings
Kick Serves
Serve Power and Accuracy
in the Sticky
if you don't know them already

also do searches on
topspin serve
kick serve
slice serve
you'll find many threads

Galactus
10-12-2005, 02:23 AM
you should be able to put topspin, kick and slice
they are not the same

check my postings
Kick Serves
Serve Power and Accuracy
in the Sticky
if you don't know them already

also do searches on
topspin serve
kick serve
slice serve
you'll find many threads
Ahhh...okay - I thought 'topspin' and 'kick' serves were pretty much the same?? :confused:
I'll check the stickies out anyway...thanks.

Marius_Hancu
10-12-2005, 02:30 AM
Ahhh...okay - I thought 'topspin' and 'kick' serves were pretty much the same?? :confused:
I'll check the stickies out anyway...thanks.

check also:

http://www.site.com/lesson-lounge/operation-doubles/article-014.htm

http://www.site.com/lesson-lounge/site/serve/4-different-serves.htm

where site = t e n n i s 4 y o u
(in the 2nd URL, site happens twice!)

as mentioned there:

------------
The Flat Serve: No spin on the ball, just drive through the ball towards the court! Click here to see an example of Serena Williams hitting a flat serve.

The Slice Serve: Brush the ball on the right side driving through the ball towards the court. Your swing should move right to left slightly as you hit this serve and follow through.

The Topspin Serve: Brush the ball from low to high, from 6 to 12. The harder you brush the ball, the more spin you will get.

The Kick Serve: Brush the ball from low to high, from 8 to 1 or 2 o'clock. Here is a great example of a kick serve illustrated by Patrick Rafter.
------------

stc9357
10-12-2005, 03:54 AM
Marius I know your a great poster but the topspin serve is a kick serve. What your talking about is the american twist serve the rafter always hit. I hate when people say kick serves because it can refer to the american twist or topsin. just say topsin or twist!

Galactus
10-12-2005, 04:24 AM
Marius I know your a great poster but the topspin serve is a kick serve. What your talking about is the american twist serve the rafter always hit. I hate when people say kick serves because it can refer to the american twist or topsin. just say topsin or twist!
That's what I thought. I was under the impression that there are three serve-styles:
1 - Flat
2 - Slice
3 - Topspin / Kick / Twist

Marius_Hancu
10-12-2005, 05:56 AM

the above classification is as per
t e n n i s 4 y o u
site
check it out

Marius_Hancu
10-12-2005, 06:27 AM
That's what I thought. I was under the impression that there are three serve-styles:
1 - Flat
2 - Slice
3 - Topspin / Kick / Twist

names are not so important. more important is the action on the ball as described at
t e n n i s 4 you
hope you got to see those pages

Hedges
10-12-2005, 07:02 AM
The two articles Marius mentioned are very helpful.

I had trouble getting the 2nd link to work. You have to replace "site" with t e n n i s 4 y o u (no spaces) in two places in the link:

http://www.site.com/lesson-lounge/site/serve/4-different-serves.htm

Galactus
10-12-2005, 07:06 AM
names are not so important. more important is the action on the ball as described at
t e n n i s 4 you
hope you got to see those pages
Good site - I'm on there now!
:)

Hedges
10-12-2005, 07:16 AM
Jeez...no wonder my twist serve has been kinda topspin-ish lately. I no longer following-thru on the right side as in the Rafter photos! Can't wait to try that out tonight!

NoBadMojo
10-12-2005, 08:47 AM
There are 4 types of basic serves
-Flat
-Twist
-Slice
-Topspin (which is also referred to as a kicker altho a twist serve also has kick to it, but with the twist)....hence the confusion
As far as hitting a heavy serve goes, you need to be able to use a heavy racquet. heavy racquets hit heavy balls. BUT.....to swing a heavy racquet fast enough to generate the combination of ballspeed and spin you need, you need to have great technique, flexibility, and timing, and a decent amount of physical srength. As 3.5's I think people should be more concerned with consistency, ball placement, and variety in their serve rather than to worry about hitting heavy serves..save that one for when you get to the 4.5's or higher

Bungalo Bill
10-12-2005, 09:09 AM
There are 4 types of basic serves
-Flat
-Twist
-Slice
-Topspin (which is also referred to as a kicker altho a twist serve also has kick to it, but with the twist)....hence the confusion
As far as hitting a heavy serve goes, you need to be able to use a heavy racquet. heavy racquets hit heavy balls. BUT.....to swing a heavy racquet fast enough to generate the combination of ballspeed and spin you need, you need to have great technique, flexibility, and timing, and a decent amount of physical srength.

Yes this is very good advice and true.

As 3.5's I think people should be more concerned with consistency, ball placement, and variety in their serve rather than to worry about hitting heavy serves..save that one for when you get to the 4.5's or higher

I think the same. Consistency is most important at this level and developing smoothness in the stroke.