PDA

View Full Version : Help to beat this type of player...

Eman
10-12-2005, 06:44 AM
Hi,

Any suggestions. I'm a 3.5 player and I'm 5'6" (a bit short). I mention this because I'm having issues with an opponent due, in part to those stats.

My opponent is 6' and is very muscular. He hits with extreem topspin and wthl most all his might. The ball comes in very fast/hard just past the service line and bounces up high. The gives me return problems as it is way out of my prefered strike zone.

I dont have time to move up to the ball to take it early and when I have tried, it is too hard to time with the speed and topspin. So far the best strategy I've found is to playing about 4 feet behind the baseline. The problem with this is that he often comes to net. I've given up lobbing this guy because he kills me with a smash if my lob is just a little off. He is much more vunerable to passing or missing a volley.

The power and speed of his shots often result in my sending back a weak reply that he either puts away or moves him to the net. (not what I want).

Any suggestions? All are appreciated.
thanks,
E

PS. He is a solid 4.0 or better player. His form is not great but everything else works for him.

Marius_Hancu
10-12-2005, 06:57 AM
I think your main problem is described here:

Keeping in a Hard Topspin Rally
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=38697

try to practice more frequently with such players