PDA

View Full Version : correct my serve toss please, BB, or anyone?

atpat
10-12-2005, 08:03 AM
I found out that my serve toss almost always land to the left, sometimes a foot or two to the left of my body, although I consciously tried to toss to my right (I'm righty). The result is my serve sucks, with no power at all. Appreciate it if anyone can help me.

NoBadMojo
10-12-2005, 08:54 AM
could be a myriad of things..here are some ball toss cues for you
-arm motion should be straight down and straight up (like you are confined to a little elevator shaft)
-slow relaxed rhythmic motion
-single lever - your shoulder being the hinge but dont keep your arm or anything stiff.
-delayed release - dont release the ball until it is at head level

Thanatos
10-12-2005, 10:17 AM
could be a myriad of things..here are some ball toss cues for you
-arm motion should be straight down and straight up (like you are confined to a little elevator shaft)
-slow relaxed rhythmic motion
-single lever - your shoulder being the hinge but dont keep your arm or anything stiff.
-delayed release - dont release the ball until it is at head level

Excellent. The only thing I want to add is practice tossing the ball from your fingertips. Tossing it from your palm will sometimes cause the ball to arc to the left. Once the ball is in the air, it should not spin too much.

NoBadMojo
10-12-2005, 11:06 AM
Holding the ball on/in your fingertips isnt such a good idea either as that can create an erratic ball toss and seems to <often> make the ball spin more than is desired. You want to cradle the ball in your fingers using your thumb to stablize. But agree the ball should never be held in your palm as that can cause a bad toss to any of the 4 directions as can holding the ball in/on your fingertips

TennsDog
10-12-2005, 12:42 PM
The ball shouldn't actually reside in the finger tips, but the pads of the fingers should be the only real place pressure is applied (and a light pressure at that!). The majority of the ball will be below the fingertips, but the tips are all that are controlling the ball directly.
To more directly advise you, I would suggest specifically trying to toss the ball way too far right. Just get used to letting the ball go right. Don't try to hit the ball or even necessarily catch it. Just get used to the motion of letting the ball go right. I had the same thing in bowling: I was afraid of the right gutter, so I would keep the ball too far left and leave splits. I just needed to let myself let it go during practice, more than I thought was safe. To my surprise, what I thought was a shot way too right was actually exactly where it should be. The same can go for tennis: toss it what seems way too far right and it may actually end up going right where you want. I offer similar advice many times when people have consistant trouble with missing shots (or tosses) the the same place most of the time. Just exaggerate what you want to make it do and don't worry about results. Once you break your muscles out of the tight confinement they are in, you can make more subtle adjustments.

Bungalo Bill
10-12-2005, 12:48 PM
Here is a good suggestion from AboutTennis.com

Here's How:
1. Stand on the baseline where you normally do for serving.

2. Point your right foot parallel to the baseline and your left foot (for righties) at the right net post.

3. Place a spare racquet so that its butt end touches the toe-tip of your shoe and its tip points toward the right net post.

4. Holding your playing racquet in your right hand, reach as high up as you can, approximately one foot in front of you.

5. Hold a ball in your finger pads (usually the the thumb, index and middle finger), a few inches in front of your right thigh.

6. Push the ball up and release it with your left hand fully extended upward.

7. Practice tossing the ball so that it peaks at the tip of your extended racquet.

8. Bring your racquet back down to the normal starting position for a serve.

9. As you make your normal service windup with your right arm, push the ball up to same height you were practicing in step 7, but now try to get it to land on the face of the racquet lying on the ground.

You can also try and toss so that the ball lands in front of your front foot about two feet into the court.

Also, it could very well be that yoru toss is too high which is making it hard for you to control.

Vamz
10-12-2005, 01:10 PM
Work on tossing the ball without any spin on it. You can do this from your couch in front of the tv. Keep your wrist firm, don't break or flick your wrist at all. And like eveyone else said, keep your arm moving slowly and uniformly.

atpat
10-12-2005, 01:20 PM
thanks, everyone. I'll give it a try tonight.