PDA

View Full Version : Serving with right, else with left

DFoo
10-12-2005, 02:55 PM
WHAT DO I DO? I serve with my right and do everything else with my left. It's what felt natural to me at first, but I realize this may very well hurt me in the long run. I've always been a little odd as I write with my right, throw with my right, shoot a (basket)ball with my left, and kick (a soccer ball or football) with my left. I want to know my options and which do you think is best for me.

Rickson: I'm just saying that even though my dominant hand may be my left(I think), I still do things with my right. As far as my question goes, do NOT bother posting in my threads if you do not with to contribute to them. kthx

Rickson
10-12-2005, 02:58 PM
WHAT DO I DO? I serve with my right and do everything else with my left. It's what felt natural to me at first, but I realize this may very well hurt me in the long run. I've always been a little odd as I write with my right, throw with my right, play ball with my left, and kick with my left. I want to know my options and which do you think is best for me.
Play ball? This is way too broad a term and your karate kicks will have nothing to do with your tennis.

snowpuppy
10-12-2005, 05:47 PM
this can happen, and if you are stuck so what. I don't think it will be that bad, you just have to train yourself to adjust. I personally write left, eat left, racquet sport left, but throw right, and play basketball right. I probably have a lot more muscle strenght in the right side for serving but i am more use to the left. Tough like i say so toughen up.

SageOfDeath
10-12-2005, 09:23 PM
I say if you are more dominant with your left stick with it, above that I would choose what you are more coordinated with. Plus in my opinion, lefty servers have an advantage.

misterg
10-13-2005, 12:28 AM
As said SageofDeath, try to serve lefty and I'll add this: if you can (as it seem you're ambidextrous) play with two forehands - ie. only forehand... You'll became the perfect player, no backhand, two forehand's and a lefty serve brrrrr...;)

cervelo
10-13-2005, 05:51 AM
WHAT DO I DO? I serve with my right and do everything else with my left. It's what felt natural to me at first, but I realize this may very well hurt me in the long run. I've always been a little odd as I write with my right, throw with my right, shoot a (basket)ball with my left, and kick (a soccer ball or football) with my left. I want to know my options and which do you think is best for me.

How has it hurt you?

I do that a lot and it works well for me, although I serve lefty as well.

However, on days where the left shoulder is a little sore, I get great benefit from using both arms for my strokes.

I'll actually still volley and overhead righty on most days.

Prince_of_Tennis
10-13-2005, 06:55 AM
As said SageofDeath, try to serve lefty and I'll add this: if you can (as it seem you're ambidextrous) play with two forehands - ie. only forehand... You'll became the perfect player, no backhand, two forehand's and a lefty serve brrrrr...;)

What happens if his backhand is his best shot :|

Bounce
10-13-2005, 07:01 AM
You know, I am exactly like you (ambidextrous) and play various sports with different handedness. Generally whichever I start with, because neither feels 'right'.

What worked for me was eventually picking lefty. (to be honest, my youth coach noticed that I was hitting a forehand on both sides, and put a stop to that). There really is a slight advantage to being a lefty...maybe its just the psych out potential. I think you will find that even though it feels 'weird' at first to switch your serve, you will pick it up very quickly. Maybe start by throwing a baseball or something with your left, its a similar feeling.

Anyhow, thats what worked for me..though occasionally I still sneak in a right handed forehand if I really need to reach for it.

Rickson
10-13-2005, 07:02 AM
Try to develop a lefty serve.

DFoo
10-13-2005, 03:17 PM
Thanks guys, I'll heed your suggestions and try to develop a lefty serve as I may very well be better with my left than with my right. I'll report back on my results soon. =P

rfederer32291
10-13-2005, 03:59 PM
ive played some juniors that do the same as yoy

cervelo
10-13-2005, 07:38 PM
Remember though, a lefty serve is only as much of a weapon as you develop its effectiveness.

People often state that the lefty serve is a weapon but don't always clarify why. I know a series of lefty players who hit predominantly kick or topspin serves, and have serious difficulty placing their second ball with depth. Their serves are often ineffective because they're not designed to take advantage of that lefty "hook."

A lefty serve, especially with slice, IS effective, but it must move the returner around the box, stay relatively low, land deep in the box and, with practice, "slide" off the court in the ad side. I've found that a lefty can get away with a little less pace than a righty, maybe because returners are less accustomed to its movement. Believe me when I tell you though, at the higher levels of tennis, you need depth on that serve because better players won't be fooled by the difference in spin.

Figure out how your game can develop certain weapons, either serving righty or lefty- that's what's great about tennis, figuring out how YOUR game can be effective against all types of players. For example, I play a solid hitter who struggles a bit with the power of my righty serve, when we play, I serve mostly righty - on the flip side, I also play a chip/charger who will let his slice pop up on my lefty serve, despite its slower pace- of course, I mostly serve lefty against him.

Honestly, I enjoy being able to play with both serves - and it keeps the game fun for me as well, which should ultimately be your goal anyway, whatever your level.

So, figure out your strengths and how to capitalize on them - serve lefty, righty or perhaps both - and understand whatever works best for you against any particular player!