PDA

View Full Version : Inquiries on service, forehand, and mental toughness

GOAT
10-12-2005, 05:50 PM
Hello,

On my service, it just seems to stay inconsistent. I have all the tools down, but when I execute the serve there is always one aspect that doesn't fall in place, whether it be bad toss, not enough knee bend, too tight, the problems range from anything you can think of. I have seen improvement through some more focused practice, but I'm still lacking the *strength* that is in the rest of my game. Let's just say my serve sticks out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of my arsenal.

My forehand is a great stroke of mine for sure, but it seems to break down easier than my backhand. I feel that in my backhand there is always consistency, but when you dare me to swing out on my forehand, the errors start to ratchet up as I get deeper into my play.

On mental toughness, my query is, what is the plan you guys use when going into the match? I don't know how to make it more specific, but I would like an answer of your how you plan to play a certain match based on your experience. I'm in the process of reading "Winning Ugly" to help me with this mental aspect and others, and I'll post further questions as I see needed.

Thanks for your tips,
GOAT

Mahboob Khan
10-12-2005, 08:34 PM
Any tactics whether they are ugly or pretty will work only if you have a sound technical and physical base. And mental toughness is achieved via success which depends largely on sound technique, tactics, and physical conditioning. Without the required tools you can't have success!

About the serve: Watch some good serve models at www.tennisplayer.net; hit a basket or two of serves on daily basis and play lots of points involving serve and return of serve. Research has shown that you learn by watching and playing, and through mental imagery. Spend some $ on annual subscription and be a member of www.tennisplayer.net. I have also started writing for this website.

About the forehand: Again, there are so many great models out there at the website I mentioned. Analyze those models, and analyze your own forehand, and then if you have any specific question, please post it here and we will get back to you, insha'allah!

Indiantwist
10-12-2005, 08:52 PM
Any tactics whether they are ugly or pretty will work only if you have a sound technical and physical base. And mental toughness is achieved via success which depends largely on sound technique, tactics, and physical conditioning. Without the required tools you can't have success!

About the serve: Watch some good serve models at www.tennisplayer.net; hit a basket or two of serves on daily basis and play lots of points involving serve and return of serve. Research has shown that you learn by watching and playing, and through mental imagery. Spend some $ on annual subscription and be a member of www.tennisplayer.net. I have also started writing for this website.

About the forehand: Again, there are so many great models out there at the website I mentioned. Analyze those models, and analyze your own forehand, and then if you have any specific question, please post it here and we will get back to you, insha'allah!

Mental toughness is not direct derivative of technique. Being mentally tough has nothing to do with being a mercurial tennis player. As a matter of fact you can see so many players (coria for example in Frenchopen 2004,Safin ) mentally break down and loose matches. But otherwise they are gifted players. Success does play a role in mental toughness but it didnt help safin much.

In my opinion, You should keep believing in yourselves. try out strategies and play smart. if you believe you can do it mentally and put some time and hardwork you will be mentally tough and also better skilled. It wont happen overnight. But keep working and you will see better results.

GOAT
10-13-2005, 07:16 AM
I identified the problems in my serve. I found my ideal toss location, but I can't seem to find it consistently. I also have trouble getting the right amount of knee bend. To sum things all up, I can't seem to getting all parts of the serve flowing in sync consistently.

With my forehand, it is nothing major at all. I found the problem is that I lose focus and become impatient.

Mahboob Khan
10-13-2005, 08:25 AM
Well, some pointers on serve:

-- Do lots of throws and catches with a rugby ball;

-- Hold the ball in your finger tips and keep your tossing arm straight .. let it move from only one hinge .. shoulder!

-- Toss the ball up at 1 o'clock for normal flat serve, 1:30 for slice; 11:30 and slightly behind for kicker!

-- Height of the toss: about 1 foot above the level of stretched up tip of the racket.

-- As you toss the ball the racket goes back and up making V; from this position the racket goes back in a back-scratching position and the tossing arm settles across your tummy;

-- Now reach up to hit the ball at full extension (the right leg moves forward in a pinpoint stance; as you hit the left leg goes forward and the right leg kicks backward).

To understand the above, watch a good model as earlier suggested.