PDA

View Full Version : Forehand "high elbow" takeback

ktncnttl
10-12-2005, 09:13 PM
Have you noticed the high elbow takeback on the forehand side employed by players like Andy Roddick, Ancic and Monfil? They raise their elbows above their shoulders when they take back their racquets. That surely violates the egg under armpit rule. Nevertheless, Andy and Ancic have pretty big forehands (don't know about Monfil.) Any thought about that?

Rickson
10-12-2005, 09:20 PM
Have you noticed the high elbow takeback on the forehand side employed by players like Andy Roddick, Ancic and Monfil? They raise their elbows above their shoulders when they take back their racquets. That surely violates the egg under armpit rule. Nevertheless, Andy and Ancic have pretty big forehands (don't know about Monfil.) Any thought about that?
Egg under armpit rule? That stupid elbow tucked in form is just a myth.

Thanatos
10-12-2005, 09:35 PM
I've broken many eggs in my time.

Rickson
10-12-2005, 09:42 PM
I've broken many eggs in my time.
And I would have dropped them too.

ktncnttl
10-12-2005, 09:44 PM

How about the tennis ball under armpit rule?

NoBadMojo
10-12-2005, 09:47 PM
the egg under the armpit rule would only apply just before contact, during contact, and just after contact, and i think if you watched Fed, it may not apply to him at all. the takeaway is a very personal thing and can be just about anything reasonable...as long as you get the racquet on the correct path on the thru swing....professional golfers have a myriad of backswings including the very unorthodox, but they get the club in the slot when it comes time..similar thing here

Marius_Hancu
10-13-2005, 05:19 AM
the egg under the armpit rule would only apply just before contact, during contact, and just after contact, and i think if you watched Fed, it may not apply to him at all.

Right.
As I mentioned in another thread:

---------
Ferrero Forehand Analyzed
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=22111&page=4

I needed to refresh my memory, thus I entered the tennisplayer.net and compared Federer and Ferrero.

As Ferrero is much under the grip (even if Mr. Yandell contends it's not quite Western), his right elbow is much more bent than Federer's at contact and much closer to the body.

This makes Federer hit the ball more laterally (wrt his body) than Ferrero. Fed "reaches out" more. I would content that this extra leverage it's an explanation for the extreme racket head speeds he's able to generate.

I would approximate that at contact Fed's upper arm is bent wrt forearm by about 160-175 degrees at the elbow, while Ferrero reaches about 90 degrees sometimes.
------------

Marius_Hancu
10-13-2005, 07:24 AM
Have you noticed the high elbow takeback on the forehand side employed by players like Andy Roddick, Ancic and Monfil? They raise their elbows above their shoulders when they take back their racquets.

Nothing new here. Sampras was doing that.

Check the pics and text for Sampras (click on his name in the list at the top) on this page (sorry, in French, but a remarkable site):

http://www.chez.com/tennisrecherche/france.htm

Marius_Hancu
10-13-2005, 07:30 AM
Also check my first posting in this thread:

Roddick's Forehand and the Modern Forehand in General
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=44502

which includes very useful opinions by Dude**** in r.s.t. on the value of the Sampras's technique for us amateurs, basically:
--------
I used to hit with the Sampras style, and it's FAR more economical and less
tiring physically. I mean it's literally like night and day.
---------
Check the arguments there.

grimmbomb21
10-13-2005, 10:30 PM

ugh, now you tell me:(

I just started bringing my hitting elbow up on my forehands, which is by far my worst shot. But doing it made a huge difference in power and consistency. However, my coach said Roddick has an ugly forehand and now so do I. He prefers I use the "elbow tucked in" swing. He also wants me to use a closed stance on my forehand, but I still refuse. I feel like I'm out of position for the next shot every time. hmm...maybe I'm wasting my money.:confused:

TheRed
10-13-2005, 11:24 PM
ummm, does your coach wear short white shorts and a vest when he plays? I can't be sure unless I see the exact strokes he's advocating but it seems like he's a bit stuck in the past about what a correct stroke is. Roddick's forehand is quite typical of the modern forehand.

Marius_Hancu
10-14-2005, 11:38 AM
I just started bringing my hitting elbow up on my forehands, which is by far my worst shot. But doing it made a huge difference in power and consistency.

However, my coach said Roddick has an ugly forehand and now so do I. He prefers I use the "elbow tucked in" swing. He also wants me to use a closed stance on my forehand, but I still refuse. I feel like I'm out of position for the next shot every time. hmm...maybe I'm wasting my money.:confused:

Check my posting on Fed and Ferrero in the above. ARod is quite similar to Ferrero in terms of grip, thus has similarity with him.
Tell your coach Fed is tucking less his FH and if he doesn't believe that, show him the clips here:

Federer's and Hewitt's FH (high-speed camera clip):
http://www.araf72.dsl.pipex.com/1000FPS.mpg

Ferrero Forehand Analyzed
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=22111

rfederer32291
10-14-2005, 02:01 PM
its just the way they hit. personally i think the high elbow takeback is pretty ugly

Mahboob Khan
10-14-2005, 05:58 PM
Ever wonder as to why an object tossed into the atmosphere falls back to earth? Gravity? You got the answer! High elbow take-back in the backswing assures high backswing and from this height the racket falls down - forward, and into the hit, and up again. If you are simply going from low to high (the old method), you are working against the gravity!

And by the way, egg-under-the-armpit assures that in the forward swing the elbow should not fly away from the body! For example, if someone is hitting his forehand with straight arm (straight elbow), you place a ball under his armpit which brings the elbow in closer to the body and also creates a bend in the arm. Obviously, in the follow-through this egg (or ball) will fall down! These are correctional tools that are better used by coaches! This is to correct certain technique flaw.

rfederer32291
10-14-2005, 07:10 PM
Ever wonder as to why an object tossed into the atmosphere falls back to earth? Gravity? You got the answer! High elbow take-back in the backswing assures high backswing and from this height the racket falls down - forward, and into the hit, and up again. If you are simply going from low to high (the old method), you are working against the gravity!

And by the way, egg-under-the-armpit assures that in the forward swing the elbow should not fly away from the body! For example, if someone is hitting his forehand with straight arm (straight elbow), you place a ball under his armpit which brings the elbow in closer to the body and also creates a bend in the arm. Obviously, in the follow-through this egg (or ball) will fall down! These are correctional tools that are better used by coaches! This is to correct certain technique flaw.
but if you are late with this technique it will cost you