PDA

View Full Version : What is the most prevalent two-handed backhand grip?

GOAT
10-13-2005, 07:20 AM
Is it true that the grip most widely used is continental bottom hand and semi-western top hand? From my experience, I can't get enough work on the ball with the use of that grip. Starting from when I first picked up tennis I used an eastern backhand grip on my bottom hand and semi-western top hand. From my experiences, that is the perfect grip. Is there anyone out there who uses the same grip as me?

Thanks,
GOAT

Shyyre
10-13-2005, 07:51 AM
for me anyway i use both depending on the shot. or more specifically the height of the shot. my left hand stays at a semi western grip, but i rotate my right hand to guide the racquet through the ball depending on the height that it is coming at me.

think about watching yourself in slow motion and watching the impact point... if the face is too open or closed the results are obvious.

Mahboob Khan
10-13-2005, 08:12 AM
That's fine. You have a strong grip (right hand in an Eastern BH; left hand in a semi-western or Eastern FH), and keep it up.

The continental (right hand) is used for convenience purposes so that you can use the same grip for approach-volley otherwise your grip combination is superior! Keep it up.

jayserinos99
10-13-2005, 09:16 AM
I think I fall into that boat of using a continental grip on the bottom hand while using an eastern fh grip on the top hand. I don't hit as much spin but I drive through the ball a lot more. I have problems with hitting the high balls at shoulder level.

tom-selleck
10-13-2005, 09:25 AM
wierd... i seem to change and not really sure why.

sometimes handshake grip x 2 and sometimes eastern backhand/western forehand (my things simple, but SW forehand and backhand grip parallel to it)

troytennisbum
10-13-2005, 11:15 AM
I prefer the continental/semi-western combination. But there is certainly nothing wrong with the eastern/semi-western combo. It's completely personal preference. Neither combination is more "perfect" then the other.

ta11geese3
10-13-2005, 01:11 PM
I used to use eastern/sw, but then I most of my balls were landing short and low. I decided to switch to continental/sw after seeing it on a website. At first I kept hitting balls out, but soon it was like whoa i like this grip. It just felt more solid for me. It was nice to be able to drive through the ball like that.

GOAT
10-14-2005, 12:24 PM
I used to use eastern/sw, but then I most of my balls were landing short and low. I decided to switch to continental/sw after seeing it on a website. At first I kept hitting balls out, but soon it was like whoa i like this grip. It just felt more solid for me. It was nice to be able to drive through the ball like that.

I don't find any of those problems using eastern/sw. Have you considered that you may have had deficiencies in your swing?

Mahboob Khan
10-14-2005, 04:40 PM
Yes. First thing is the grips. They ought to be correct. And then swing: Backswing, point of contact, and follow through.

ta11geese3
10-14-2005, 04:47 PM
haha.. it's not about whether or not i considered if i had deficiencies... I MUST have had them. probably wrong contact point or a too vertical swing path or something, resulting in the short topspin balls. plus i know i was trying to swing hard and stuff... so switching grips was kind of like starting over on the stroke. which has worked well for me.

Hmm... is it easier to impart topspin with an eastern/sw grip? I would think so...