PDA

View Full Version : Im trying to learn to take the ball on the rise

akj27
10-13-2005, 02:06 PM
but yeah, its very dificult, if it goes to my backhand(1 handed) I dont have enough time to prepare. What should I do

killer
10-13-2005, 02:34 PM
Best bet: prepare as soon as you can (ie when you know it's going to your bh side), and begin to swing through as the ball is landing. of course your body positioning is extremely important- stay down through the ball as much as you can.
The timing on the bh side is more challenging, but it's simply a matter of practice akj! If you can, find some footage of Fed hitting backhands (for 1hbh) or Agassi (for 2hbh); they're both incredible at picking the ball up on the rise.

Another thought: don't take a full backswing. Only draw the racquet back as far as the line of your body, and accelerate through as though yo'ure hitting a half-volley. Hope that helps!

rfederer32291
10-13-2005, 04:02 PM
if you prepare properly and keep a firm wrist, taking the ball on the rise should be no problem

akj27
10-13-2005, 04:03 PM
oh, i dont have to take a full swing?

nViATi
10-13-2005, 05:30 PM
but yeah, its very dificult, if it goes to my backhand(1 handed) I dont have enough time to prepare. What should I do
this sounds pretty obvious but prepare earlier. there's nothing stopping you from preparing earlier.

vin
10-14-2005, 07:55 AM
You can try hitting backhands against the wall in a racquetball court or the wall of a gym. Because of the hard wall and the smooth floor surface, the ball comes back quick and you don't have much time to prepare, which may help influence your swing to be more efficient and your preperation to be quicker. The racquetball court is probably better because you don't have enough room to let the ball bounce twice.

It's also great for practicing during winter if you live in a colder climate.

When you're practicing on a tennis court, you can also try camping out close to the baseline, which should probably be your goal anyway if you're trying to take the ball early.

Tennis Ball Hitter
10-14-2005, 09:01 AM
I always get a little hazy when people say on the rise ... does that mean off the bounce?

Marius_Hancu
10-14-2005, 09:46 AM
I always get a little hazy when people say on the rise ... does that mean off the bounce?

well, yes, on the rising part of the trajectory, after the bounce ...

rfederer32291
10-14-2005, 01:02 PM
oh, i dont have to take a full swing?
no, you should not take a full swing when taking the ball on the rise. you should just shorten your swing and then keep the same followthrough.

TENNIS2
10-14-2005, 01:27 PM
Perhaps, a useful exercise would be hitting the ball against the wall, stand close to the wall so you are forced to hit the ball on the rise. Bring the racquet back right away after you hit the ball so you can prepare for the next ball.

nViATi
10-14-2005, 01:55 PM
no, you should not take a full swing when taking the ball on the rise. you should just shorten your swing and then keep the same followthrough.
maybe when you first start but if you can hit a full stroke while hitting on the rise then that is better

rfederer32291
10-14-2005, 03:17 PM
maybe when you first start but if you can hit a full stroke while hitting on the rise then that is better
well obviously, because you would get a whole lot more pop off of it, but for starters, small backswing.

liionel
10-14-2005, 08:15 PM
well obviously, because you would get a whole lot more pop off of it, but for starters, small backswing.

yeah. if you're nearer to the net, try to lean towards the shot.

All Court
10-14-2005, 08:23 PM
Lean towards the shot? As in shift your back, upper body, and head forwards?

That disrupts balance and would take power and consistency OUT of your shot.

RiosTheGenius
10-14-2005, 09:10 PM
it's very simple.
are you coordinated?... if so, you should have no problem figuring this one out on your own just by getting a feel for it and trying things.
if you're the guy who can't dance because can't follow the rythm, or can't play musical instruments because your hands can't do what your brain says, you are not coordinated and you shouldn't try this in a thousand yrs.
all the previous posts here are useless if you lack of coordination.
but if your brain and body are n'sync it's not that difficult.... good luck.

akj27
10-15-2005, 04:43 AM
that was very good riosthegenius, Im sure its that simple, Agassi must be the best dancer ever then, right?

rfederer32291
10-15-2005, 05:59 AM
Lean towards the shot? As in shift your back, upper body, and head forwards?

That disrupts balance and would take power and consistency OUT of your shot.
he means LEAN into the shot for more power and speed.

RiosTheGenius
10-16-2005, 09:16 PM
that was very good riosthegenius, Im sure its that simple, Agassi must be the best dancer ever then, right?
oh, I'm sure Andre and Stef can rock the Casba man.... just look at them.
Andre could've been the american Baryshnikov if he wanted to. :)