PDA

View Full Version : Are fixed clamps worth the extra $

christian
05-22-2004, 03:19 PM
Looking at the different brands, it seems as though you will pay about 150 or so more for the same machine but with fixed clamps instead of flying. Are the fixed clamps really worth it?

Gaines Hillix
05-22-2004, 04:15 PM
christian, IMO, fixed clamps are easier and faster to use and hold better. The better ones will also last longer than many of the floating clamps, which are made out of plastic.

rich s
05-22-2004, 07:08 PM
Absolutely worth the money.

It is easier to start a string job, you get more consistant results, just more convenient all around.

I will never use floating clamps again.

rich

STRman
05-23-2004, 05:29 AM
Plastic never lasts in anything made with it but I have metal floaters that came with my Clippermate over 15 years ago and they are still as good as new and have strung hundreds of racquets.

Cruzer
05-24-2004, 05:20 PM
The Klippermate Vise Grip floating clamps are quite good and probably the best floating clamps available but fixed clamps are the way to go. The ease of use and convenience are unparalleled compared to floating clamps.

Simbah2004
06-09-2004, 08:44 PM
It all depends on your situation. How often you will be stringing, what kind of frames you string.
If you want to string for yourself and others, are thinking about making a profit out of stringing - fixed clamps will be easier and move convenient. Different frames, some require improvisation with flying clamps and the results would not be as consistent.
If you just want to string for yourself and need maximum portability - a good machine with GOOD flying clamps will do the job - I would recommend the Laserfibre Eco with flying clamps instead of the Klippermate.

byteme45
06-14-2004, 01:16 PM
Absolutley yes for me. I only strung 3-4 racquets a month and the flying clamps just got to be too big a pain. I just upgraded to a Revo4000 and wish I had done so a year ago. I would have saved a lot of time and swearing!