PDA

View Full Version : Playing a bit hitter

HappyLefty
10-13-2005, 03:38 PM
Hi guys,
I received a phone call from a player whom I loss semifinal last year in a Christmas Cup. (4-6; 5-7) He wants to play me this weekend and I need to be prepared for this challenge.

His game style is as follow:
Right handed baseliner.
Sometimes (about 30% of the time) he goes to the net.
Hard flat hitter
Modest but safe 2H BH
Excellent first flat server and a regular second one.
NTPR (IMO) = 4.5

My game style:
Lefty
Aggresive spin baseliner
I don't use to play at the net
Regular 2HBH
Serve w/ spin
NTPR (IMO) = 4.0

To be honest, I don't want to loss again.
What do you think is a good strategy to defeat him?

Advices are welcome!!

lolsmash
10-13-2005, 03:54 PM
hit at his feet , make him run, tire him out. Aim your serves wide so hes off the court and you can hit the opposite direction returning it. Go to net more so you can put away easy shots and put pressure on him. Lob when he goes up to the net. If possible, use down the line shots by the allies.

Prince_of_Tennis
10-13-2005, 03:59 PM
Work his forehand with all sorts of spins try to see if you can find a weakness there. I'll give you some advice given to me "work the angles". If you say you have a spin baseline game, dictate points early. Stay consistent (lol I know a lot of people say this but this works) Go back to basics =) Oh don't forget have fun!

Marius_Hancu
10-13-2005, 04:04 PM
>Modest but safe 2H BH

serve, return and play long to his BH, but with some variation
if he comes to the net, pass and lob to the same side

wrong foot him
take the speed from the ball and see the effects on him

SageOfDeath
10-13-2005, 04:19 PM
I think there are all great strategies but keep in mind last year was a while ago..... people could change their game. Just keep that in mind and be able to adjust to a different styling of playing if he has changed.

PM_
10-13-2005, 04:26 PM
Well, you know what you have to do.
Work your crosscourt magic to his bh.
If he doesn't come to net often, bring him.
If he's a flat hitter, run him all over the court so he doesn't do the same to you first.

HappyLefty
10-17-2005, 08:02 PM
Hi guys, I`m here just to upgrade.
Guest what?, I won 4/6, 6/3, 7/6(6)
My biggest problem was with his serve. It`s a rocket. first serve very hard, flat and difficult to return. Second one easier to return. If I could control it....
It`s possible I play him in next Christmas Cup so I need to be prepared for this match and win more comfortable.
I`ll ask my coach to prepare me for this kind of serve.
Thanks all of you for your advices.

Baseline Basher
10-17-2005, 08:55 PM
Congrats dude.

Indiantwist
10-18-2005, 07:31 AM
Congratulations on u r victory. Iam sure you can do it again (and again!).

I know of one tip that will always work. believe in u r abilities and ability to Surprise your opponent. That will throw them off their game.

Another good tip would be to get a Read on their game and Also of your own (whats working and whats not) early in the match.

I play with some opponents who on the overall has more options for stroke making and are better rated. I mix up a lot. Its that element of surprise that forces them to take more risks (or feel complacent) and more error prone.

Marius_Hancu
10-18-2005, 12:04 PM
I`ll ask my coach to prepare me for this kind of serve.

easy, ask coach to serve to you from the service line, not the baseline, that'll shape you up in short order:-)

rfederer32291
10-18-2005, 12:05 PM
easy, ask coach to serve to you from the service line, not the baseline, that'll shape you up in short order:-)
yes, and that will make your reaction time faster so you can get a racqut on it better.

HappyLefty
10-18-2005, 12:34 PM

Good tip. I'll do it.