PDA

View Full Version : too much lead= less power?

DarkSlayerX
10-13-2005, 07:55 PM
i have 2 layers of lead tape at 10 and 2 o'clock on my babolat pure drive std. I tested it out it raised my sweetspot and control but it seems that i lost my power. Is this true or is this only in my head?

mistapooh
10-13-2005, 08:20 PM
You are probably swinging slower because of the new weight.

grimmbomb21
10-13-2005, 08:39 PM
I had the same problem. If you play often enough you should just get used to it.

snoflewis
10-13-2005, 09:55 PM
i have 2 layers of lead tape at 10 and 2 o'clock on my babolat pure drive std. I tested it out it raised my sweetspot and control but it seems that i lost my power. Is this true or is this only in my head?

well consdier that your PD is a tweener frame, the lead tape should raise your sweetspot (like you stated) and also make the frame head heavy (if that's the only spot you put lead tape) unless you cant generate much of your own power, you should be getting a lot more power....

DarkSlayerX
10-14-2005, 03:54 AM
my friend said i should put some lead tape on the handle to counter balance it. Should i put some on the handle as well?

Marius_Hancu
10-14-2005, 04:10 AM
As I said somewhere else (perhaps it helps):

The handling of any heavy racket can be considerably alleviated if you have a proper FH technique, in which you utilize the inertia of the racket during the shot, and not fight with it/muscle it.

In order to do that, you must execute a proper "compression" (see easitennis.com or see the Nick B's video on the FH, when they pull the towel towards the front) before acceleration, followed by releasing the racket into the ball, in a ballistic movement.

You will get a ton of power this way.

Check Feder in slo-mo here:
Federer's and Hewitt's FH (high-speed camera clip):
http://www.araf72.dsl.pipex.com/1000FPS.mpg

Same on serves: toss in front of you and let the racket go to the ball in a lashing movement (relaxed wrist) don't muscle it.

Marius_Hancu
10-14-2005, 04:14 AM
my friend said i should put some lead tape on the handle to counter balance it. Should i put some on the handle as well?

the only way to tell is by experimenting with it. different people respond to different things.

but yes, in order to keep the same balance in the racket you'd have to do that. but then it might become too heavy overall for you.

and it's normal that the racket moves slower. but with the higher mass, you should be able to achieve the same ball speeds or more with the proper technique and strength.

Thanatos
10-14-2005, 06:46 AM
Personally, I don't like lead tape. Players get too dependent on it and start to go overboard. In addition, it when your game goes wrong, you have a tendency to blame it on the tape (not enough, too much) when in fact it's your technique. When I buy a racket, I'll try demo it throrughly. It has to be the right weight and balance. The only thing I would change on it would be the strings\and or grip type.

kevhen
10-14-2005, 06:47 AM
As you add more weight to the head you should have more power, unless you have added so much you can't swing it naturally anymore. Maybe you could remove the weights at 10 and 2 and just add one at 12 o'clock if you need the racquet to be a little lighter but with more power.