PDA

View Full Version : Help on double handed backhand!

liionel
10-13-2005, 09:53 PM
i was fiddling around with my 2hbh just doing shadow tennis while waiting for my friends at the court. suddenly i wondered if theres any wrist action required to hit a flat backhand. i kept thinking and it totally threw my game off. need help here!

nickybol
10-14-2005, 12:03 AM
You don`t need wrist action at a double-handed backhand. Some players have late in the follow-through but it`s definitely not needed.

TennsDog
10-14-2005, 07:20 AM
I suppose in terms of the word "need": no, wirst action is not really needed for a flat 2hbh. One thing to bear in mind, though, is that (assuming you are a righty), the left hand should be doing most of the work on the 2hbh with the right hand pretty much just guiding it. You don't really want to hit it completely flat, but the small amount of topspin that is necessary for constancy should be available via the swing path. I personally have a backhand somewhat resembling Roddick and Agassi with a hitch as the ball is coming, then release the wrists, drop the racket head as the ball comes, then whip the wrists and racket head up through contact. The wrist action give the shot power and spin. However, I would not say that wrist involvement in a 2hbh is not a necessity.

nickybol
10-14-2005, 01:35 PM
Yes, normal wrist action, but that comes natural, don`t teach anything that comes natural.

rfederer32291
10-14-2005, 01:59 PM
minimal wrist action is all you need

liionel
10-14-2005, 09:12 PM
okay its repaired after 3 hours of baseline and mini tennis! thanks all! :D