PDA

View Full Version : Open Stance Forehand

redtennis55
10-14-2005, 02:26 PM
Do you guys ever use an open stance to go cross court or down the line. I usually try the reverse forehand with a closed stance to go down the line, but then my opponent knows where i am hitting. Please post any other comments or questions about the open stance forehand, or the forehand in general.

Mahboob Khan
10-14-2005, 05:37 PM
General, the open stance or semi-open stance blends very well with semi-western or western grips. However, it could also be used with Eastern forehand grip. And by and large it is used when recovery from a wide ball is a major consideration. It could also be used to disguise your shots (difficult to tell from an open stance whether you are going cross or down the line).

Having said, down the line is a challenging shot and my experience shows that square stance (when both feet are in the same line) is more suitable to go down the line (I do not recommend close stance), and open stance is more suitable to go cross court. Although, as I said experienced players can use open stance to go cross court or down the line! There are some advantages to both:

-- Square stance allows you to transfer your weight toward the direction of your target.

-- Open stance to me is the best in assuring upper body coil. Basically you are coiling your upper body against your legs!

-- Square stance is the best to handle normal balls!

-- Open stance is the best to handle wide balls (recovery is more natural with open stance).

Since you were not specific with other questions re. forehand, I cannot post answers to un-asked questions!

Docalex007
10-14-2005, 06:54 PM
I almost never use the open stance. I have a great way of shifting my body at the last moment to use directional force into a shot.

rfederer32291
10-14-2005, 07:12 PM
i use a mixture of both.

TennsDog
10-15-2005, 04:35 PM
I pretty much always hit with an open stance. This is likely to help make up for my poor footwork in preparing for the shot. I know where shots are going and I can get there with no problem, I just can't always get my feet where I want when I want. Open stance is also more comfortable for me.

Bounce
10-17-2005, 10:22 AM
I almost always use an open stance on my forehand side (semi-western grip). It is particularly helpful for me when you've got a higher ball, otherwise I feel like my body gets in the way of a full, powerful swing.

The only exception is when I have to run up a distance, then it seems more comfortable and natural to use a square stance.

I think whatever feels best is what you should use.

snoflewis
10-23-2005, 11:30 PM
i was taught to step in on shorter lower balls and to hit open stance on deeper and wider shots. IT helps me because on the shorter ones...i can setup like im hitting it down the line, but can flick my wrist for a cross court, and on the open stance...my opening doesnt know where im hitting

FiveO
10-24-2005, 07:54 AM
Mahboob has said it very well. No single stance should be used to hit exclusively to any one specific target. You should work on hitting to all targets from all stances, open, semi-open and nuetral. The only stance which should be avoided on a fh is a closed stance where the non-hitting side foot crosses over and ends up closer to the contact side sideline than the back foot. It blocks the hips from uncoiling into the shot.

joe28601
10-24-2005, 04:19 PM
i also use both depending what my last thought is... ITS CALLED PEER PRESURE!!!

Mattle
10-25-2005, 02:44 PM
Do you guys ever use an open stance to go cross court or down the line. I usually try the reverse forehand with a closed stance to go down the line, but then my opponent knows where i am hitting. Please post any other comments or questions about the open stance forehand, or the forehand in general.

Hey there!
I'm new here, but sorry, this time i'm not here to comment on your problem, but.. i saw th word forhand and i got this problem. Where to hit a forhand generally indoors? low or high? i can play all other strokes really good, though my forhand is teasing since i've been trying to develop it in to many different ways. Now i'm lost. should you go for one forhand and then just move on the court? thanks

tonysk83
10-25-2005, 08:28 PM
When I first started I only used open, past few months I have been using a closed stance and can get a lot more power because I feel I can explode on the ball more then open. Just how I feel when hitting. I do use open though when I am reaching for wide balls and other situations where I feel it is needed. Usually if I have less time to react to a ball I will go open, closed if I have more setup time.