PDA

View Full Version : Western

AMD64
10-15-2005, 08:36 AM
I just switched to western and find it really good for me... I get more balls over since I hit with more topspin...

anyone think this is a bad switch? Ive been playing semi western for 3 years

rfederer32291
10-15-2005, 08:40 AM
I just switched to western and find it really good for me... I get more balls over since I hit with more topspin...

anyone think this is a bad switch? Ive been playing semi western for 3 years
i would actually stay with a semi western, because you have the ability to take short/low balls easier than with a western. you can also hit with a lot of spin from a semi-western forehand grip as well as a full western grip.

Marius_Hancu
10-15-2005, 08:59 AM
you might want to read this one:

which is better western or eastern forehand?
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=548410

including the opinions by Lansdorp

AMD64
10-15-2005, 09:01 AM
eastern?? thats never an option for me... doesnt seem good at all

rfederer32291
10-15-2005, 09:14 AM
i've never been too fond of an eastern grip either.

Marius_Hancu
10-15-2005, 09:31 AM

read the comments in that thread, perhaps they will convince you to stay with SW

BTW, Sampras and many other great players were Eastern, Fed is moving in between it and SW

Marius_Hancu
10-15-2005, 09:53 AM
W is much more demanding in terms of footwork, and when you will get slower/older, you'll have major problems

also, it's much more difficult to switch from it to the continental for volleys, reason why the W players never do too much at the net

also, I will contend W is putting more stress on your elbow, esp if you're not careful

try to imitate Fed with a much more straight elbow than Ferrero; this requires SW

as I mentioned somewhere else:

The difference is of course the area of the contact. As Ferrero is much under the grip (even if Mr. Yandell contends it's not quite Western), his right elbow is much more bent than Federer's at contact and much closer to the body.

This makes Federer hit the ball more laterally (wrt his body) than Ferrero. Fed "reaches out" more. I would content that this extra leverage it's an explanation for the extreme racket head speeds he's able to generate.

I would approximate that at contact Fed's upper arm is bent wrt forearm by about 160-175 degrees at the elbow, while Ferrero reaches about 90 degrees sometimes.

check the clips in my posting on FH in the Sticky.

TheSneakerologist
10-15-2005, 12:37 PM
Eastern is where all grips begin. When you start playing tennis it is with an eastern grip. Its the basic of all tennis grips.

rfederer32291
10-15-2005, 01:08 PM
read the comments in that thread, perhaps they will convince you to stay with SW

BTW, Sampras and many other great players were Eastern, Fed is moving in between it and SW
federer uses a strong eastern grip right?

snoflewis
10-23-2005, 11:34 PM
i would actually stay with a semi western, because you have the ability to take short/low balls easier than with a western. you can also hit with a lot of spin from a semi-western forehand grip as well as a full western grip.

imo, western is only effective only when you play w/ players who also use western or Semiwestern grips. western grips force you contact point to be way more forward and higher. also, all your racket head speed goes into the spin, making your shots lack in power....lastly, if you play w/ anyone who hits flat bombs, you will realize why western grips are bad for low balls... i would just stick w/ a semi. i had a western, switched to semi, and now have an extreme eastern. i like it a lot, more power on midrange shots....can hit w/ a decent amount of topspin on higher shots...and it has more control for me

Marius_Hancu
10-24-2005, 03:58 AM
federer uses a strong eastern grip right?

mostly semi-western, but he's using several grips in that range

joe sch
10-24-2005, 08:16 AM
I grewup playing a sw grip and hitting lots of topspin as I idolized Bjorn Borg.
I have been able to compete against the better players in my age class using a topspinning serve/volley game but because Im a bigger stronger player and dont have the baseline speed, I pretty much had to rely on the SV game. I recently studied with a great classic teacher who taught me to hit using eastern grip and flatter strokes. Now, at 45, I can hit baseline winners past all the guys I play and no longer have to rely on SV game. My point is that I think you are heading in the wrong direction, dont go more western !

mark1
10-24-2005, 08:36 AM
yea i hit with an extreme eastern as well and it seems to be the best fit for my game. it really aids in approach shots and putting away short balls, which is always more difficult with a western grip.

erik-the-red
10-24-2005, 12:58 PM
I use a semiwestern grip, and I'm trying to stay that way.

Going a bit more western / closed makes my forehand too error-prone. I don't swing fast enough to take advantage of its spin potential.