PDA

View Full Version : Which racquet would you recommend?

iscottius
02-26-2004, 08:16 AM
I am a 4.0 all court player, singles & doubles with a one handed backhand. Medium swing speed, medium power.

Pro kennex 7g
Prince triple threat graphite midplus
Babolat PCZ+

or other?

iscottius

dufferok
02-26-2004, 10:40 AM
I'm also a 4.0 player with a one-handed backhand with medium to high power, and I generate plenty of top spin with my long swing style.

I used to play with the Wilson Hammer/Prostaff racquets, however, I never could gain any consistancy with my backhand until I switched to the HEAD Ti.Radical.

My backhand's accuracy and return of serve immediately improved. My raquet is strung with Technofibre NRG 17 @ 60.

I haven't played with the other racquets you mentioned, so the only thing I would recommend from my experience is HEAD Ti.Radical.

iscottius
02-26-2004, 11:14 AM
thanks for your feedback,
iscottius

d wayne
02-26-2004, 11:23 AM
Your game sounds similar to mine. You don't comment on spin. I play with fairly flat strokes at the 4.0 level with one-hand backhand. I went through a lot of demos before settling on the Head iTour, which is now being discontinued. You may give it a demo, as the price is now great and it plays really well. Doesn't have huge power but enough to hurt an opponent.
If that's not for you, try any of the Radical series, Surge and of course the Pure Drive. I wasn't wild about the PD or Surge, but others love them- certainly worth a try

iscottius
02-26-2004, 02:52 PM
dwayne,
thanks, i hit relatively flat topspin on both sides, and had a weird experience with the PD+, loved it at first on serves & baseline, was really going for my shots and the racquet resonded. After a while if I was just rallying or hitting normal pace, the racquet did not respond as well, doesn't volley great and backhand slice was average. Overall the only shots that improved were serves and big forehands, the resr of my game was worse. Plus a little hard on my arm. Will try the itour.

scott

polakosaur
02-26-2004, 03:03 PM
demo out the tour 90 which is what i use its a magic stick or the tour 95 that just came out

Robert Jones
03-23-2004, 11:36 AM
I have a one hander backhand too.

I have tried:

1. Wilson HPS 6.1, HH 5.3, HH 4.0, All the triads
2. Just about all the pince line in past 2 years
3. A few babalots can't remember the names.

For ground strokes the best were the Prince MORE Precision 95 and Wilson HPS 6.1. The MORE precision kind of gave me a sore shoulder but damn it made a die hard serve and volley player into a decent ground stroker. Just about everyone that has tried that stick of mine falls in love with its control. I just wish it did not hurt my arm.

The Wilson 6.1 is very nice and solid from the baseline, not quite the control as the Precision but more power.

The Babolot 300g is very nice too. Did not have enough time with it though.

I'm trying the Diablo MP now. I am struggling with it. I demoed it for 3 weeks and never lost my serve in doubles or singles 4 league.
That has never happened to me in the last year. It needs some lead at 3-9 on groundies, its not bad stock but lacking the control of the 6.1 or Precision. I think the diablo is a better all court stick. Way better for serve and volley.

Well that all ended when I put multifiliment strings in the diablo. I went from winning all my matches to struggling to beat people that I normally walk over. I can't wait to cut the strings out. I lost all the control, shots going long going wide going everywhere but where I pointed them to go. About the only positive was I had more heat on the serve but much less spin.

Its hard to say what is the best stick out. Strings are just as important as the racquet. Bad strings can turn a good stick into trash.

Ronaldo
03-23-2004, 11:44 AM
Head Pro Tour 280 can do it all.

Robert Jones
03-23-2004, 12:02 PM
I have not tried any of the newer heads. How is the 280?

Head Pro Tour 280 can do it all.

Ronaldo
03-23-2004, 12:12 PM
Has a bit more feel than the i-series racquets. Can find no fault except in serving. Does everything well, just not as crisp as the current Head racquets. Just plain graphite with no augmentation or filler. Really nice for a one-handed BH IMHO. Very easy on the elbow.