PDA

View Full Version : 2ND serve

roddick_rulz
10-15-2005, 06:48 PM
I don't have a good 2ND serve. I just tap the ball over the net. What do you suggest for a better 2ND serve?

jeefreak
10-15-2005, 06:58 PM
the most common type of serves for your 2nd serve is usually a kick serve or twist serve... i'd suggest looking at marius' postings in the sticky about those serves

glass
10-15-2005, 09:05 PM
I'd recommend a slice serve as the first second serve you learn.

fbone
10-16-2005, 08:58 AM
When you say..."you tap the ball over the net", I'm assuming your using a swing motion completly different from your first serve?

My suggestion for a better second serve would be to practice your second serve with the same swing motion of your first serve except try using more spin to get the ball in. You can do this by using your legs more to push up into the ball and just having a simple repetative swing.

At the club I play at, I see a lot of players with a decent basic first serve motion, but if the miss their first serve, they "tap the ball over the net" on the second. This tells me they don't have the confidence in trying the same motion with more spin on their second serve in match play.

This goes back to practicing your second serve swing motion and trying different spins to help the ball fall in.

STMike79
10-20-2005, 09:54 AM
When you say..."you tap the ball over the net", I'm assuming your using a swing motion completly different from your first serve?

My suggestion for a better second serve would be to practice your second serve with the same swing motion of your first serve except try using more spin to get the ball in. You can do this by using your legs more to push up into the ball and just having a simple repetative swing.

This goes back to practicing your second serve swing motion and trying different spins to help the ball fall in.
I'd definately agree with this...Working on a 2nd serve w/ the same motion as the 1st, making sure you use your legs to get low, spring up & impart some "kick", or "topspin", will go a long way for your game once you get it...

PedrosCousin
10-20-2005, 11:42 AM
When I have trouble with my 2nd serve I find it's for that very reason....I don't use the same motion as my 1st serve and (also important) my racquet head slows down considerably. The racquet head speed should be at least the same as for the 1st serve. That, along with the knee bend, contributes to the added spin that will keep the ball inside the box.

cadfael_tex
10-20-2005, 05:21 PM
I'm trying to regain my serve after a long layoff. Should I work on the second serve as both serves at first. I've found that my original flat serve is a higher percentage and I hate giving away points working on spin for the second.

Maledizione
10-20-2005, 05:56 PM

At the club I play at, I see a lot of players with a decent basic first serve motion, but if the miss their first serve, they "tap the ball over the net" on the second. This tells me they don't have the confidence in trying the same motion with more spin on their second serve in match play.

Nothing will make you work on a better second serve more, than having an opponent repeatedly attack/hit winners off it.

PedrosCousin
10-21-2005, 07:30 AM
I'm trying to regain my serve after a long layoff. Should I work on the second serve as both serves at first. I've found that my original flat serve is a higher percentage and I hate giving away points working on spin for the second.

During a match I would go with what's working for you. Experimenting with new serves during matchplay probably isn't a good idea. I would take some time during practice to work on a topspin type serve. Once you get that down, it will become a reliable second (or even 1st serve) for you.

fbone
10-21-2005, 10:12 AM

I too have had a layoff of sorts...I usually have a big flat/slice 1st serve but when it wasn't there recently, I committed to just hitting my heavy spin/kick 2nd serve just to get the ball in play. After playing more regularly, my first serve is coming back.

I does take practice too. I recently hit with someone who only wanted to practice returns, so I must have hit a couple of hundred serves to him. It was a noticable difference the next time I played a competative set.

It all goes back to practice, practice, practice!

Concentrate on your arm motion and keep it consistent (on both serves), use your legs to push up, and use spin.