PDA

View Full Version : rule about net and racket

snoflewis
10-15-2005, 10:50 PM
i had an argument today w/ my friend about volleying over the net. my question is: when one volleys or overheads in front of the net, is the racket allowed to go over the net? because from what i thought, the racket could go over the net as long as the player or racket didnt touch the net.

KennyNguyen
10-15-2005, 11:26 PM
you're right

Nakedboy87
10-16-2005, 12:12 AM
you have to make contact with the ball on your side before u can swing over the net.

ucd_ace
10-16-2005, 12:47 AM
you have to make contact with the ball on your side before u can swing over the net.

Yep, you have to wait for the ball to cross the net before you can make contact, but you're allowed to fall through to the other side of the net as long as you don't touch it...

peter
10-16-2005, 01:20 AM
i had an argument today w/ my friend about volleying over the net. my question is: when one volleys or overheads in front of the net, is the racket allowed to go over the net? because from what i thought, the racket could go over the net as long as the player or racket didnt touch the net.

The rules are like this:

1. The ball must first pass the vertical plane of the net atleast once before you are allowed to hit it.
2. You may never hit or touch the net or your opponents court with your racket, body *or* something that you were carrying.

Ie, if your opponent hits a ball that goes over the net and then bounces back over the net then you are even allowed to run around the net fence post and hit the ball - as long as you never touch inside the lines of your opponents court. Just make sure you don't drop your vibration dampener inside your opponents court while on the other side of the net. And make sure you hit a winner or you're bound to lose that ball :-)

dancraig
10-16-2005, 02:22 AM

dancraig
10-16-2005, 02:30 AM

Yeah. If your opponent hits a ball that goes over the net and hits the court with a lot of backspin and goes back over to his side, you can then reach over the net and hit the ball.

GrahamIsSuper
10-16-2005, 03:01 PM
Yeah. If your opponent hits a ball that goes over the net and hits the court with a lot of backspin and goes back over to his side, you can then reach over the net and hit the ball.

Actually I had a question about that:

Let's say the ball does exactly that, it bounces and is in mid-air on their side. You reach over, and hit the ball into the opponents net. Since it hit HIS side of the net, is it your point? Or does it have to hit the opponents ground? I guess it'd be the same as like netcording, but it's still confusing.

dancraig
10-16-2005, 03:12 PM
Actually I had a question about that:

Let's say the ball does exactly that, it bounces and is in mid-air on their side. You reach over, and hit the ball into the opponents net. Since it hit HIS side of the net, is it your point? Or does it have to hit the opponents ground? I guess it'd be the same as like netcording, but it's still confusing.

I think you are right. He's got to hit it before it bounces twice. It would be like if you hit a lob into the wind, and the wind blew the ball against his side of the net before it bounced. He would still have to return it before it bounces twice.

dancraig
10-16-2005, 03:29 PM
Here are some rules:

RULE 24
A Good Return
It is a good return:

(a) If the ball touches the net, posts, singles sticks, cord or metal cable, strap or band, provided that it passes over any of them and hits the ground within the court; or

(b) If the ball, served or returned, hits the ground within the proper Court and rebounds or is blown back over the net, and the player whose turn it is to strike reaches over the net and plays the ball, provided that neither he nor any part of his clothes or racket touches the net, posts, singles sticks, cord or metal cable strap or band or the ground within his opponent's Court, and that the stroke is otherwise good, or