PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a racquet for better placement

Steve H.
10-16-2005, 04:31 AM
When people talk about "control" racquets they generally mean low-powered ones so you can take a big cut and the ball doesn't go long. I have a different question: what sort of frame will help you put the ball where you want it? Light, heavy, high or low swingweight, big or small head?

I move pretty well for an old guy and have decent stroke mechanics and reasonable power for a 3.5-4.0, but most of the points I lose come from not putting the ball where I want, missing the sideline, botching a passing shot, etc. What's your experience -- what kind of racquet would you choose for better accuracy?

SteveI
10-16-2005, 05:25 AM
When people talk about "control" racquets they generally mean low-powered ones so you can take a big cut and the ball doesn't go long. I have a different question: what sort of frame will help you put the ball where you want it? Light, heavy, high or low swingweight, big or small head?

I move pretty well for an old guy and have decent stroke mechanics and reasonable power for a 3.5-4.0, but most of the points I lose come from not putting the ball where I want, missing the sideline, botching a passing shot, etc. What's your experience -- what kind of racquet would you choose for better accuracy?

Hey Steve,

Steve I here. I am guessing you are about the same age as I...and you seem to describe your game as one that mirrors mine in some regards. I have found that as I age... I seem to need a racket with a lower swing weight. Not static weight. With a lower swing weight, I seem to have an extra faction of a sec (most likely a nano sec..LOL) to get the frame back..and therefore not have to wip the frame thur the contact zonec causing a lack of control. My frames (100 Head size) are still in the 11.8 range (due to lead tape.. and grip build-up materials) and I can hang with heavy hitting 4.5s In addition, my frames are 8-9 points HL, making them very easy to move at the net.. create racket-head speed off the ground and on serves. I hope this helps buddy.. BTW.. I am guessing it is still raining like heck downstate..as it is in the WNY area.

Regards,
SteveI

Steve H.
10-16-2005, 05:58 AM
Hey Steve,

Nice to see you posting here more! Actually it's SUNNY today for the first time in a week, unfortunately I'm working all day so no T for me.

Thanks for this info. I agree, lower swingweight seems to help in keeping the racquet face from getting pulled out of position, and decent static weight doesn't seem to be an issue. Now using an RDX500 MP stock, which feels controllable but somewhat underpowered. What are you using now? I see that you've been liquidating those Ti.Carbons.

cheers,
SteveH

Ronaldo
10-16-2005, 06:11 AM
Seems the Ti or iRadical OS may be an ideal solution. Light, tight string pattern, decent pop from an oversize head.

MasterOfDisaster
10-16-2005, 02:59 PM
the best solution for control is practice, doesnt matter what racquet, you could usea super stiff racquet or a super flexible racquet, practice and you can hit any shot u want.

Zverev
10-16-2005, 03:26 PM
My experience is that smaller heads (90-95) and denser string pattern (18x20) give more directional and depth control - better placement.
Better slice also, not as much topspin, despite a lot of wise guys here are saying that topspin is all technique, I say giving same skill and technique open string pattern provides more topspin.

Speedy_tennis
10-16-2005, 04:08 PM
any radical??? for high level players ps 6.0 and prestiges are the best

SteveI
10-17-2005, 04:05 AM

Steve...

I sent ya mail!

SteveI