PDA

View Full Version : Do you change end during casual match? Do you take official 90 sec break?

hlkimfung
10-16-2005, 11:35 AM
There's a tacit agreement between me and my regular partner that we don't change end when playing game, unless it's day time and only if the sun is strong

We can stop whenever we want, even at 2-2, 3-3, to go to the bench for towel and water, but we almost never stop for a full 90 sec official break

your practise?

!<-_->!
10-16-2005, 11:50 AM
Change ends, yea. Break, heh, it normally ends up being more than 90 seconds.

tonysk83
10-16-2005, 12:33 PM
We change ends always just to make it fair. You can get water whenever you want and usually only we take breaks for 30-60 seconds, sometimes longer though.

goober
10-16-2005, 12:45 PM
I use standard protocol even in social matches. I guess I wouldn't really care if somebody got a drink of water at other times if it only lasted like 15 seconds.

SageOfDeath
10-16-2005, 12:46 PM
I always change ends but don't always take my 90 sec break unless its a tournament.

Marius_Hancu
10-16-2005, 01:01 PM
always change ends. matter of fairness, even if in appearance insignificant. you never know.

Chris Evert-Awful
10-16-2005, 01:14 PM
I change ends randomly. When exactly are you supposed to change ends?

nickybol
10-16-2005, 01:36 PM
Depends on who I`m playing with and what the weather is. Indoor I don`t change ends ofcourse.

DX_Psycho
10-16-2005, 02:13 PM
you change ends when the total score is an odd number.

SageOfDeath
10-16-2005, 03:09 PM
always change ends. matter of fairness, even if in appearance insignificant. you never know.

actually there was this one time where I didn't change ends, the sun was to my right and absolutely blinding and my friend was a lefty so we made an agreement to switch to benefit us both. hah.

hlkimfung
10-16-2005, 05:05 PM
there's a sleeze practise between the double game when the sun is shining directly and strongly from one end.

Say it's a 1-2 team Vs A-B Team.

Player 1 with serve with the sun behind him. Then we switch side when both player A and B serve. Switch side to let player 2 serve then player 1.

By this no player will serve into the sun. Like serving in the set as a tie-break

Koaske
10-17-2005, 01:03 AM
There's a river behind the court I usually play at, so when I'm playing not-so-skilled players who tend randomly to muscle the ball with no control , I have them stay at the other half(their back to the river) all the time to save my tennis balls.
What comes to breaks , the breaks are longer depending on how good my opponent is :) But I try to keep it around 90 seconds and not longer.

andreh
10-17-2005, 04:44 AM
I definetly change sides when I play outside. The wind and the sun might be a factor. I tend to do it inside as well. It just feels right.

Also, one should remeber that the break is not only for rest but also for strategic reflection. That's why I always insist on breaks.

winks
10-17-2005, 05:07 AM
actually there was this one time where I didn't change ends, the sun was to my right and absolutely blinding and my friend was a lefty so we made an agreement to switch to benefit us both. hah.

I have done the same thing.

SteveI
10-17-2005, 05:13 AM
I definetly change sides when I play outside. The wind and the sun might be a factor. I tend to do it inside as well. It just feels right.

Also, one should remeber that the break is not only for rest but also for strategic reflection. That's why I always insist on breaks.

Hey,

The weather is always a factor here.. wind.. sun. Even in the most casual matches.. we always change ends. The 90 secs??? Well.. most of the guys and gals I hit with..chat a bit on the changeovers. We are not that serious most times. We do a lot of visiting during that time.

Regards,
Steve

Geezer Guy
10-17-2005, 11:49 AM
When playing tournament matches, everything is by the book.

When playing non-tournament matches outdoors, we change ends and take short water breaks (don't sit down) during change-overs.

When playing non-tournament matches indoors, we never change ends and take just one short water break after 6 games (unless it's a 5-1 blowout).