PDA

View Full Version : would you switch to the new double format?

hlkimfung
10-16-2005, 11:39 AM
how popular the format would become among the recreational level?

tonysk83
10-16-2005, 12:31 PM
Can you give me a link or explain this format?

Rickson
10-16-2005, 02:27 PM
You mean 5 games to win a set, and play a tiebreak at 5 all? No way! I'll keep playing the 6 game way until the 5 game way becomes popular at the recreational level. Basketball also had a rule change that didn't affect streetball at all. In half court streetball, an airball would allow the opposing team to go straight up with the ball instead of taking it back to the foul line. The NBA implemented the 24 second violation if the ball doesn't touch the rim and it used to be the backboard would give a new shot clock, but not anymore. In streetball we still take the ball back to the foul line if the ball touches the backboard in spite of the relatively new NBA rule so recreational tennis might take the same route as streetball.

Marius_Hancu
10-16-2005, 02:35 PM
nope, would not.

SageOfDeath
10-16-2005, 02:51 PM
it would make doubles too short.

Bungalo Bill
10-16-2005, 03:51 PM
how popular the format would become among the recreational level?

Interesting you brought this up. I was just reviewing an article about the Top Doubles players suing the ATP.

For those that have learned doubles, this is very sad. Doubles is a great game and wish more singles players would give it a try earlier rather then later in life when they are having a hard time keeping up with singles.

I realize that doubles does not provide the same level of physical efforts as singles but it is still challenging compared to a lot of other kinds of sports.

It is a very fun version of tennis especially when your team is able to mix in different formations, strategies, and tactics.

I understand the business reason of why doubles is slowly becoming extinct but there has got to be something to keep the game the way it is.

You can read the article here: http://thesportsbizblog.blogspot.com/2005/09/top-doubles-players-sue-atp.html

I would not change a damn thing. Let's keep doubles - doubles.

hlkimfung
10-16-2005, 05:10 PM
Interesting you brought this up. I was just reviewing an article about the Top Doubles players suing the ATP.

For those that have learned doubles, this is very sad. Doubles is a great game and wish more singles players would give it a try earlier rather then later in life when they are having a hard time keeping up with singles.

I realize that doubles does not provide the same level of physical efforts as singles but it is still challenging compared to a lot of other kinds of sports.

It is a very fun version of tennis especially when your team is able to mix in different formations, strategies, and tactics.

I understand the business reason of why doubles is slowly becoming extinct but there has got to be something to keep the game the way it is.

You can read the article here: http://thesportsbizblog.blogspot.com/2005/09/top-doubles-players-sue-atp.html

I would not change a damn thing. Let's keep doubles - doubles.

Yeah BB I agree with you.I was watching the Kermlin Cup double online. The match finish before I finish my sandwich. It take less than 45 min. It's a joke

and I absolutely hate the sudden death. It's even worse than a fifth set tiebreak