PDA

View Full Version : How to "push" without pushing?

ktncnttl
10-16-2005, 05:56 PM
I am not a pusher, I like to hit with pace but my strokes are not good enough to hit winners or force errors consistently. Like pushers I have to win by consistency and committing less error than my opponent however I don't push per se. I think Lleyton Hewitt is a prime example of my style. He wins by letting the opponent to commit more errors but he doesn't really push, he still hits the ball with authority but way within his comfort zone.
So how to play like Lleyton Hewitt? Win by letting your opponent to commit more errors and still hits the ball with some authority but way within one's comfort zone?

x Southpaw x
10-16-2005, 06:30 PM
learn proper strokes and work on getting consistent with them?

golden chicken
10-17-2005, 03:56 PM
it's called "playing within oneself" meaning that you play only with the skills you've already mastered. lleyton hewitt has two major skills: consistency and speed. he knows he can hit the ball over the net more times than you can if you hit it right to him, and he knows that you probably can't hit it by him reliably.

have confidence in your abilities. know that you can carry on a 20 shot rally without powder-puffing or moonballing.

then, learn court positioning so you can be in the right place to get to any ball hit off the ball you just hit. i.e if you're having a crosscourt backhand-to-backhand rally, then you don't need to go all the way back to the center hash by the time your opponent hits the ball. you have to get most of the way there, but not all the way. it'll give you the illusion of speed.

don't try to kill the ball every time. hit with 75% power and at least three feet inside the sidelines. go crosscourt and DEEP most of the time. depth is highly important. if you allow your opponent to step inside the baseline and control the point, you'll end up on the run and eventually lose the match.

hit the ball back the way it came (don't try to change the direction of the ball) unless it's right in your strike zone.

take opportunities to end the point when you get them. if you get a short ball, get up to it and place it deep into the corner and look for a weak reply. do not pat the ball back and then retreat to the baseline!

practice hitting that offensive mid-court shot. i've seen wayyyyyy too many people dump it into the net, and then i get confident that i don't have to go for perfect depth all the time.

and practice, practice, practice until you don't even have to think about it any more.

TennsDog
10-18-2005, 06:40 AM
Lleyton Hewitt is considered a counter-puncher. He doesn't have any of his own real weapons as far as hitting winners or getting cheap points is concerned. The type, as well as any other high level, of play is centered around confidence. He doesn't really try to make things happen, but he also doesn't sit back and let his opponent control the match. He makes them know he is on the other side of the net, but he does it witout making a lot of winners or errors. To do this, pretty much develop and groove your strokes, get comfortable with the racket, ball, and court and pretty much be able to play well against any kind of player.