PDA

View Full Version : snapping the wrist on the serve

tennistensai
10-16-2005, 07:57 PM
hello i ve been playing tennis for about 2 and half months and i always struggled with my serve. I finally managed to gain some consistancy but there is this one problem. whenever i tried to do a flat serve i cant snap my wrist. is it the continental grip i use? i now use a slice or twist( dont know the difference) serve when i play but i want to gain a fast serve. what should i do?

Prince_of_Tennis
10-16-2005, 08:27 PM
Ever throw a baseball or a football? It's sorta that flick when the ball leaves your hands.
Try to toss the ball a little into the court (12 oclock position) and pretend as if you throwing yourself at the ball.

Slice just curves, twist bounces up and away. There are little variations but thats the basics.

Prince_of_Tennis
10-16-2005, 08:27 PM
Double post. TW site freaked out on me.... =(

tennistensai
10-16-2005, 09:24 PM
doesnt it feel kinda aqaurd when snapping the wrist with the continenatal or is it just me?

EgYpTiAnMaTT91
10-16-2005, 09:40 PM
doesnt it feel kinda aqaurd when snapping the wrist with the continenatal or is it just me?

Yeah, especially on flat serves. On slice serves it's okay, but on flat serves it just feels downright weird.

tennistensai
10-16-2005, 09:57 PM
then should i like use a different grip when i do a flat? if so which one?

EgYpTiAnMaTT91
10-16-2005, 10:01 PM
then should i like use a different grip when i do a flat? if so which one?

I don't think I'm the one to be consulting on that. If anyone with more experience can intervene, it would be a lot better than if I open my mouth.

Maledizione
10-16-2005, 10:02 PM

No it's not just you. It felt awkward with me at first as well, but eventually it becomes automatic.

One trick that facilitated my pronating was 'check the time'.
As in perform the motion of checking your watch right after contact with the ball.

Good luck!

Prince_of_Tennis
10-16-2005, 10:12 PM
Well you have to get used to it. It takes time isn't gonna feel comfortable right away. If you want to try something else maybe an eastern backhand grip.

Queensryche
10-17-2005, 12:36 AM
The ONLY reason i can think off WHY anyone would feel this "snapping" motion feels awkward with the continental grip is because ,

1) You doing it extremely forcefully (Conscious of the fact that u are )

2) You think pronation is snapping your WRIST down.

Now the 2nd problem is something i used to experience , in fact there was a nice post i found that really shed light on the flat service and "snap" as you call it.

When you pronate on your flat service , you do not "snap" downward , infact u actually "snap" in a way , whereby your right palm , which faces to your head during the initial swing , pronates THROUGH the ball and ending up facing AWAY from your face.

Try it , just grab your racquet in a continental grip , and slowly do your service motion , at the imaginary apex of your toss turn your palm outwards.
It is somewhere along this parallel path to the ground that your ball is struck , and your elbow naturally flexes which results in the high elbow follow through you often see , which LOOKs like a pronation took place "downwards".

Well , this is just something i just kinda know , i have no research data or super slow motion captures for you though , However dont forcefully snap your wrist on your service motion - that should be the least of your worries , it occurs on its own

Marius_Hancu
10-17-2005, 05:31 AM
check my posting
Serve Power and Placement
in the Sticky
esp the thread which has an article by Bungalo Bill
(it's indicated there)
there are v. good clips in the sticky

you should work on your pronation
check my posting Kick Serve
in the Sticky

Bungalo Bill
10-17-2005, 07:17 AM
hello i ve been playing tennis for about 2 and half months and i always struggled with my serve. I finally managed to gain some consistancy but there is this one problem. whenever i tried to do a flat serve i cant snap my wrist. is it the continental grip i use? i now use a slice or twist( dont know the difference) serve when i play but i want to gain a fast serve. what should i do?

Please do not consciously try and snap your wrist. First and foremost the wrist snap is a myth. The wrist rotates, it does not snap.

If you purposely snap your wrist, especially for a new player, you are asking for wrist injuries.

The key to the whole serve is to learn to completly relax while executing the motion. Let the bodies natural movement allow the racket to meet the ball.

Proud Pusher
10-17-2005, 07:24 AM
Good advice here on pronating! I'm 57 and just this weekend think I finally
learned how to pronate on a flat serve!! I am a righthander and could hit
it well when serving wide to the ad court and down the middle to the
deuce court.

I did not have any success going down the middle to the ad side or out
wide to the deuce court. Is this normal, or do I just need more practice?

Thanks, Ken

livthemoment
10-17-2005, 08:07 AM
wrist pronation... as said on tennis...one...c..o.m
Think about unscrewing a lightbulb. That is wrist pronation. The initial throw of the racquet can be thought like throwing a dart in the ceiling (lead with the butt of the racquet. Then, you unscrew the light bulb(pronation).

In terms of aim.. the easy way to aim is simply the direction you initially throw the racquet. For example, I simply aim my wrist down the middle and use the same pronation, so I hit down the middle. Once you feel comfortable with that then disguise will be the next step.