PDA

View Full Version : jumping on forehand

Jay Welvaert
02-19-2004, 08:36 AM
Hi, is there any advantages/ disadvantages to jumping on your forehand. My friends tell me to keep on the ground when I hit my forehand but I cant. I dont think that its bad because almost all the pros do it aka roddick.

Thanks, Jay

Plawan
02-19-2004, 11:55 AM
Advantages: intimidation (perceptably more powerful), high leverage, put body weight into the shot (can also be done without jumping but not always).

Disadvantages: No chance to take small steps to adjust to the ball position changed by wind or spin, take longer to regain balance (have to go for winner), expend energy that should reserve, risk injury with impact to ground.

jayserinos99
02-19-2004, 01:49 PM
Jay, I think jumping is just a result of exploding into the ball after you load your power from your legs. IMO, as long as you have your legs loaded and ready to spring into your shot, you should be fine.

kreative
02-19-2004, 03:11 PM
most non-pros that jump on their shots (at least most of the ones i've played against) tend to have less pace on the ball than when they stay grounded. i think you tend to be more stable if you keep your feet on the ground, and are more consistent than if you "jump" on your shots. pros practice day in and day out for hours, and have a mastery on their shots and timing. the "jump" is their explosion into the shot giving them more leverage and power.

eggnog
02-19-2004, 07:37 PM
It depends on what grip you use. this jumping up is a result of coiling up and then your body going in the same general direction of your follow through and is mostly seen in SW and W forehand. You don't see people with continental forehands doing this leaving the ground with their forehands, a la McEnroe. Connors with his eastern forehand hardly did this either.

Matt H.
02-19-2004, 08:12 PM
well, to me, it's FUN.

my favorite shot is when my opponent gives me a midcourt or floating type put-away ball that's on my forehand side. I run, and leap off with my back foot (right foot, cuz i'm a lefty) and hit a huge forehand while scissoring my legs in mid air. kinda tough to explain in words, but it's an awesome shot. Sure, it's not technically sound or should be recommended, but i find it fun, it pumps me up, and it leaves the opponent a tad bit intimidated after hitting one for a winner, especially if it's early and we've never played before.

Nosoupforyou
02-21-2004, 03:44 PM
jumping should come naturally, you should not be consciously trying to do it, it will mess up your timing

djbrown
02-23-2004, 07:52 AM
I would agree with those that say it should come naturally, and not forced. Load up on the back hip and transfer you weight and energy up and out towards the ball and you'll naturally 'jump' as you transfer your energy to the supporting leg during the follow thru.

Thunnus
02-23-2004, 09:12 AM
Trying to copy old long-haired Agassi's jumping forehand did have some major negative effect on my game for several years. Don't jump for the jumping's sake.

mattlikovich
02-23-2004, 02:40 PM
Dont jump dont jump!!!!
I have tried did it at my last tournament and didnt do well. the next day at my practice i stayed grounded and was hitting harder and better placed forehands everywehre. Stay on the ground, get in postion, get high racquet speed and keep ur feet planted, weight transfer to first foot.

Matt

Off The Wall
06-16-2007, 10:12 PM
Don't jump. To generate the power you want, you jump up and swing with wild abandon. You can't control the ball.

Instead, try moving through your shots. Your body weight will provide the power, which allows you to slow down your swing for better control.

Slazenger
06-16-2007, 10:46 PM
well, to me, it's FUN.

my favorite shot is when my opponent gives me a midcourt or floating type put-away ball that's on my forehand side. I run, and leap off with my back foot (right foot, cuz i'm a lefty) and hit a huge forehand while scissoring my legs in mid air. kinda tough to explain in words, but it's an awesome shot. Sure, it's not technically sound or should be recommended, but i find it fun, it pumps me up, and it leaves the opponent a tad bit intimidated after hitting one for a winner, especially if it's early and we've never played before.

If you are doing this correctly, it is the momentum that takes you off the ground, not you jumping.

If I understand you correctly, you run forward for this mid court ball but rather than stop and set up to then hit the put away, you run forward, plant and load up on your right foot, move forward into your put away which will lift you off the ground, and then land on your left foot.

krz
06-17-2007, 08:39 AM
Sometimes I come up naturally due to just the twisting of my hips and unbending of the legs.

I also jump on high balls because its damn hard to not leave a shoulder high forehand short without just moonballing it back.

And on short high balls it really lets me flatten out my forehand with more margin for error.

Bagumbawalla
06-17-2007, 09:56 AM
This was my answer to another post about jumping during a 2hbh-- the answer is basically the same.

Mainly people jump because they like the feel of leaping trout-like into the air. There have been NUMEROUS post on this topic.

Simple laws of physics show us that having a stable platform to create thrust is the way to go. Hitting while jumping is a bit like trying to throw a ball while standing in a canoe- force, equal and opposite reactions and all that.

Now, having said that, there may be times when you can jump without people thinking you are sacrificing good play for showmanship.

An overhead, just out of reach-- jump up and pound it back.

Because you desire the feel of leaping, itself, to pump you up and send a message to the opponent that you have energy to spare.

The last shot of the match- you combine a put-away shot with a victory leap.

Well, that's all I can think of.

As far as the 2hbh, when the ball is high, using one hand, stepping back, or even stepping into the shot would be technically better than leaping and losing your footing.

Added note: Yes, some pros do jump, but watch Federer and hit footwork during groundstrokes-- very little wasted motion.

Good luck,

B

The Gorilla
06-17-2007, 10:53 AM
I personally think it stems from the ''sit, lift and hit ' teaching tool.

As people apply more effort to the shot they also apply more effort this now unnecessary component of it.

boojay
06-17-2007, 11:55 AM
i think "jumping" is fine if it's done correctly, however, the timing needs to be impeccable as you only have a small window of opportunity where the lifting actually aids you. I agree with all the descriptions of a person lifting rather than jumping into a shot. I've seen some guys who jump and then hit and that takes away a lot of power, but if timed properly, you can blast some pretty wicked shots.

mucat
06-17-2007, 12:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDWm70SX450&NR=1

If he doesn't jump, why us?

Jumping decreases stability, accuracy and power if you are a mortal like 99% of us.