PDA

View Full Version : What's next for the Wilson Zone 7.1 user?

edge
02-26-2004, 10:46 AM
Well my 13 year old son tried the Tour 90 and the Tour 95 and didn't like them. He said he had to work too hard to drive the ball. The 95 was stiffer than his Zone 7.1, so has less control and feel. What should I have him try next, the ROK? The Volkl Tour 9V or 10V? The LM Prestige? Your suggestions are helpful. He is an attack tournament player with a one-handed BH and uses Lux BB ALU at 55lbs.

tnkGod4tns
02-26-2004, 12:04 PM
try the volkl tour 10 mid or mplus

jayserinos99
02-26-2004, 12:46 PM
They're all good choices edge. The one questionable thing about the ROK is the dense string pattern. Does your son hit with a lot of spin?

Simbah2004
02-26-2004, 10:13 PM
Stick with the Zone, it is a great racquet.

edge
02-27-2004, 11:33 AM
Jay, my son hits a flatter ball with some spin. He's going to try the Volkl Tour 9 and Tour 10 this weekend if we can get ahold of demo's, otherwise Vollkl is going to send him the demos on Monday. The LM Prestige doesn't come out until April. I guess I'll also get him to try the ROK and the Tour 90 once again.

edge
02-27-2004, 08:05 PM
I 've got the Volkl Tour 10V, (the Tour 9V is out), the Wilson Tour 95, and the ROK. We're going to spend an hour or two on the courts tomorrow. Yes, he could stay with the discontinued Zone 7.1 but they will lose their flex after awhile and maybe he'll like the new racquets better. He still has 8 Zone racquets. Decisions, decisions...being a highly ranked tournament player has it's advantages as the racquet mfg's will give him great deals but it's like shopping for eyeglasses, it's hard to find the right one. Volkl will give him a pair of racquets of his choice, plus a bag, shirts, etc. Wilson will give him a package of 4 racquets, 15 strings, 30 overgrips, bag, shirts and hats for 3 bills if we order by March 15, otherwise 4 bills. Head packages 3 racquets+ for 3 bills or any racquet for $75 but the one we want to try, the LM Prestige doesn't come out until April. Prince has 4 racquets , 30 strings, 30 overgrips, 2 shoes, bag, shirts for 4 bills and we heard good things about the NGX. We're not even going to test drive the Babolats. Whew, I hope focuses on something he likes.

edge
03-03-2004, 11:21 AM
My son is going to try a transition to the Volkl 9V. All the Wilson racquets are too stiff or too heavy for his 5'1" frame and his type of game. The Zone 7.1 was a good fit but I still think he needs more control. The 9V is a lively sweet racquet. It has good pop but does not sacrifice much control with it's 18 x 20 string pattern. We'll have to add some lead tape at the 9 and 3 position to add some mass and give it a more solid feel. I hope this works out for him. The only other racket he liked was the I.Prestige Midplus which he borrowed from a friend, however it had the same BB ALU strings that he uses. We'll demo the LM Prestige when it comes out next month.

tennisplayer3
03-03-2004, 11:27 AM
whats your sectional/national ranking need to be to be eligible for the prince package?

edge
03-03-2004, 03:03 PM
hey player, I believe you need to be top 250 USTA National to qualify for the Prince package. Wilson's cut-off is top 100 Nationally.