PDA

View Full Version : Advanced NYC-area Players Needed for Team

jaydubbs
05-24-2004, 09:36 AM
I am looking for advanced players for my tennis team, which plays in the NYC area. I prefer players with Junior or College experience. Former pro's are too good, players who haven't picked up a racquet in awhile are likely not good enough (except possibly former college players.) I am reluctant to state the NTRP level b/c in my experience players tend to inflate their rating. There are court and league administrative costs involved, but it's still the best deal around for competitive tennis in NYC. Serious players only. Thanks.

Cruzer
05-24-2004, 04:23 PM
Almost sounds like someone is trying to assemble a group of sandbaggers to make a run at the USTA Nationals.

jaydubbs
05-24-2004, 07:14 PM
Doesn't work -- above level players get dq'd. I'm just tired of spending my time trying out below level players. Most players just don't have an accurate idea of the rating levels.

hackerman
05-24-2004, 09:57 PM
Whats the problem? Are you having a lot of people who think that they are better than what they are or the opposite? Around here most people try to play down in USTA but a few tell others that thy are a full point higher in the ratings than what they are. When I vacation in Florida and try to find a pick up match it seems that the players down there over inflate their ratings. I can't tell ya how many times I have arranged a match with a so called 4.0 only to find that they more lik a mid or lower level 3.5.

jaydubbs
05-25-2004, 12:12 AM
Well, around here, 9 times out of 10, players are not as strong as what they say they are.